Suggest all engineering disciplines

CEans,

At the time of registration, we ask users to enter their engineering discipline. Despite of the clear instructions to enter the engineering discipline as "Electrical" , or "Mechanical" or "Computer" etc., a lot of our members enter "electrical engineering", "studying IT engineering" into the text box. That results into messed up mini-profile in posts.

So, I'm thinking of creating a drop-down list of all engineering disciplines that users can choose from. So here's the list of Engineering disciplines that come to my mind. Suggest more, please. ๐Ÿ˜€

1. Aeronautical
  2. Aerospace
  3. Agricultural
  4. Automobile
  5. BioTech
  6. Civil
  7. Electrical
  8. Electronics
  9. Mechanical
  10. Mechatronics
  11. Metallurgy
  12. Mining
  13. Structural

Replies

• raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    Mechanical and Automation (Thats my line, its mechanical engineering with automation and mechatronics including some of their subjects like control added to the course)
    We once had a Waterproofing engineer here at CE.
    Marine Engineer
    Chemical
    Environmental
    Genetic
    Industrial
    Instrumentation
    Instrumentation and Control
    Military
    Nuclear
    Polymer Science
    Ceramic
    Geotechnical
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Well, we'll stick to parent branches. That's why we do not have Electronics and Telecommunication as a separate branch.

But hey, let's decide it later. Let the disciplines flow in ๐Ÿ˜‰
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    What about Computers and IT?
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    shalini_goel14
    What about Computers and IT?
    And we forgot them. How could these two escape our(Biggie and me) minds.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    raj87verma88
    And we forgot them. How could these two escape our(Biggie and me) minds.
    Happens. :sshhh:
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    you can also add-up Textile engg & Ship-building/naval architecture
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Biggie, if you can put Automobile as separate from Mechanical, you can put Telecommunications separately from Electronics too! ๐Ÿ˜›

What I suggest is to add both parent and specializations, eg:
    E&E: Power Generation
    E&E: Communications

Mechanical: Aerospace
    Mechanical: Automotive

Biotechnology: Genetics
    Biotechnology: Biochemical

etc..

The list may be very long, but its a one off thing. CEans would be glad to see their specialization listed ๐Ÿ˜€ IEEE has a nice list of different societies.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    ash
    Biggie, if you can put Automobile as separate from Mechanical, you can put Telecommunications separately from Electronics too! ๐Ÿ˜›

What I suggest is to add both parent and specializations, eg:
    E&E: Power Generation
    E&E: Communications

Mechanical: Aerospace
    Mechanical: Automotive

Biotechnology: Genetics
    Biotechnology: Biochemical

etc..

The list may be very long, but its a one off thing. CEans would be glad to see their specialization listed ๐Ÿ˜€ IEEE has a nice list of different societies.
    Makes sense. I'll post a list soon. Let's get this done.
  • komputergeek
    komputergeek
    My vote for automobile and computer
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    The_Big_K
    Makes sense. I'll post a list soon. Let's get this done.

In that sensce,even civil and structural should be bracketed together
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Shall we use the ready made list available on IEEE page: -> #-Link-Snipped-# ?

The only problem is that the list will become too long. Will that be a problem? What do you think?
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    It should be alright for now. Perhaps we can use this thread for CEans who wish to request additional disciplines if needed.

I dont think a long list would be a problem ๐Ÿ˜€ The more disciplines the better!
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    Well in that sence there might more 1000 engineering disciplines!!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Okay, today I found my old calculator in the drawer. Its CASIO fx-991MS ๐Ÿ˜€. Which calculator do/did you use?
Some time ago, I had an idea: put a headset on a telephone. Unfortunately I haven't electrical knowledge or experience. However I think the procedure should be very simple. I...
hey..im a third year student of chemical engineering..ive got an exhibition in march...im really confused about it..i mean what to make...kindly help me out
i would like to know about some few recently developed open source codes in mobile phones.
i am planning to build a BEAM ROBOT.which embedded system to start with for the hardware??????? i'd be gratefull if details about the components for the robot is given.............๐Ÿ˜