Structural design of geodesic backpacking tent

I wish to design a geodesic backpacking tent.
A geodesic backpacking tent is a tent which is uses flexible poles which are arranged in a criss cross pattern. The fabric is on the inside of pole structure and the tension in the fabric gives stability to the structure.
I am not a civil engineering student but being a mechanical student I have some basic background of structural analysis.
Does anyone have an experience in structural design of such tents?
What should be my approach for designing the tent?
What all theoretical calculations should be done ?

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    TheDarkKnight
    The fabric is on the inside of pole structure and the tension in the fabric gives stability to the structure.
    The fabric of an umbrella gets its tension because the spokes underneath stretch it. If the fabric is inside it cannot be under tension and so cannot give support to the structure.
    A geodesic dome tent actually has very little floor space. Better to stick to a rectangular design with the idea of backpacking it. Maybe the the back pack itself can become the tent when not used as a back pack.

This may trigger some ideas:
    #-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hi am kalaivani, looking for internship in cloud solutions provider company as a web developer(php). since i want to proceed my career in cloud technologies.. can anyone suggest me the...
can anyone list the cloud startups in india, specifically in chennai and bangalore. am looking forward to get into cloud based companies. thanks in advance..
Project Abstract / Summary : Automation or automatic control is the use of various control systems for operating equipment such as machinery, processes in factories, boilers and heat treating ovens,...
Project Abstract / Summary : ABSTRACT In mobile communication the Base Transceiver Station (BTS) site and the tower maintenance play an important role. In the present day scenario some problems...
Hi Engineers, I am a final year mechanical engineering student. I'm using ansys-15 to analyse a non linear problem. During the solving process, I encountered an error as followed. "This...