Streetlights In Chicago With Data Collection Sensors Help Researchers Understand The City Better

University of Chicago and Argonne National Laboratory have joined hands to initiate the "Array of Things" project in the city of Chicago in which they plan to install data collection sensors on streetlights around the city which shall help them identify the needs of the city better. Selected streetlights in the city will be fitted with sensors that measure air quality, light intensity, noise, temperature, precipitation, and wind speed. Apart from these sensors, these shall be another one responsible for collecting information regarding foot traffic in an area. The sensor will observe the amount of cell phone traffic in an area to determine the density of people. This has managed to alarm privacy advocates who think that monitoring cell phone activity is an intrusion of privacy.

Chicago

Addressing the aforementioned concerns, Charlie Catlett the director of the Urban Centre for Computation and Data has stated that the team has taken measures to ensure that these sensors only monitor cell phone signal reception and not the digital address of the cell phone. He has also stated that the data from this project can never be used to identify individuals as no camera or recording devices involved. For example the noise sensor does not record any actual sounds and all imaging will be done by infrared cameras.

Companies like Cisco Systems, Intel, Zebra Technologies, Qualcomm, Motorola Solutions and Schneider Electric have provided technical assistance for this project. In the month of July researchers shall install sensor systems at eight Michigan Avenue intersections. By the end of the year 2014 they hope to install hundreds of such systems across the city.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-# via #-Link-Snipped-# Image Courtesy: Chicago Mediaviewer/File:new National Hellenic Museum During The Day.jpg

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Apple announced the cheaper versions of the popular desktop lineup 'iMac'. The 21" iMac was announced about $200 cheaper. The new price of the iMac (June 2014) is $1099 (21")...
Can you think of a material that is lighter than air; so light that it can be called 'frozen smoke', but 10,000 more stronger than aerogel? Well, the researchers at...
Hellow, My name is rishi verma & i have done engineering in electronic tele comm. with 64% aggregate year 2013 and now i want to do short term course that...
The Wi-Fi alliance is already looking for the next standard in the wireless communications and it's time we look forward to the new 802.11ax standard, the successor to currently popular...
As we know in data bases Key Constraints is the most important concept. we can apply the key constraint either to column level or table level, but I want to...