Stream awareness for freshers

In which stream can we explore better in present scenario of IT field..Can anyone give a clear idea about SAP, JAVA, .NET, ORACLE, BIPM, UNIX CPP, ASSURANCE, MAINFRAMES ETC..

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I'm assuming that your question is more about 'career', because it's not clear what you are asking for. Also, 'clear idea about SAP, .Net ....' doesn't tell us what exact information you are looking for.

I'd request you to provide more information about the questions you want to ask so that it's easier for us to understand and provide better response.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# It is a wrong assumption that "This is era of Java" "This is the big time for SAP" "The hottest thing in IT industry is "Mainframes"
    Thinking on those lines is wrong.
    Many students and professionals are asking about the scope of a particular technology. However, this is a wrong approach.
    You need to identify a programming language or a technology which has your interest and build you skills in it. When I say build skills, I mean not to the average level, but being the best in the field of your choice. Once you do that, you can gradually move to other technologies.
    The industry doesn't demand software engineers working in a particular technology.
    It demands (in fact craves for) a software engineer who is super-skilled in any one platform so that the engineer can work on it un-assisted and produce beautiful software programs that are scalable and praise-worthy.
  • Maheshkaranam
    Maheshkaranam
    Thank u #-Link-Snipped-# for responding..Iam a fresher yet to join tcs this year..They gave me a option of selecting stream..So iam confused about which stream to select. plz suggest me in which stream projects will be more and opportunities when i come out of tcs..
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# I am an ex-TCS employee. On the very first day at my training program (3 month long), we were asked to choose between C++ and .Net. It seems that since my training center was in Pune, they had limited faculty at that time and therefore the choices were very narrow. Now, I could've chosen any of the two, but I went for Dot Net because I believed I have worked a lot on C++ in my college days and now wanted to learn Dot Net. That was the sole reason for choosing my stream.
    After finishing the training program, when we were looking for projects, they had very few for .Net at my center. Most of my batchmates were actively doing interviews, yet very few got .Net based projects and others were all on bench for about 6-8 months.
    Then came along a month-long training for ABAP. Since, I was only looking to learn more, I took that up too and went into a SAP Project.

The reason for sharing my experience is that - It doesn't matter what stream you choose. The only thing that is considered is how skilled you are in, when you say you've done 3 month long training. At the end of the training, most of my batchmates couldn't answer simple questions asked in the interviews. This is a very sorry state.

You need to be in a position where you are confident about answering any question from head-to-tail about the platform of your choice. That should be your aim from the start.

Which training center in TCS are you getting? If they have given you all those options, choose the one that you think you can perform well in. If you don't love your work, you will end up being frustrated.
  • Maheshkaranam
    Maheshkaranam
    Thank u@Ankita Katdare Very useful info and motivating too..I realized that iam in wrong appraoch ..Being an electrical engineer and coming into software scaring me much..
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Ample of electrical & electronics engineers will be accompanying you in the IT field. Not much to worry. If #-Link-Snipped-# is online, I would request him to share his insights.
  • RohitGupran
    RohitGupran
    Same scenerio is with me.. i m a mech. Engineer. I git java as stream in ilp. So pls suggest me, should i go fr it?
  • RohitGupran
    RohitGupran
    Same problem is with me.. as i m a mech engineer... andd got java as stream.... so plsss tell me should i go with it?
  • Nanditar
    Nanditar
    Can you tell me about the ILP training centers? Like which stream gets which center? I got bimp and my friend got into java , will we both get a same center?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    RohitGupran
    Same problem is with me.. as i m a mech engineer... andd got java as stream.... so plsss tell me should i go with it?
    Wondering how did things work out for you? Did you get well versed with Java and other technologies that you worked / are working on?

Nanditar
    Can you tell me about the ILP training centers? Like which stream gets which center? I got bimp and my friend got into java , will we both get a same center?
    I doubt candidates are given a choice of the ILP; but that could have changed recently. You and your friend are likely to get the same centre; but there's no guarantee. I'd rather have someone from TCS comment on this.
  • Pavan Kalyan
    Pavan Kalyan

Which stream did I have to choose as I am a civil engineer 

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare

#-Link-Snipped-# Are you asking about IT streams for a civil engineer? That's an interesting question. I think the best thing you can do right now is learning how to code if you already don't.

By simply learning how to code, as an engineering graduate, you will make you sail in the IT industry a whole lot easier. You will need to pick up at least one language or technology that is currently being used in IT and work on learning it. The rest of the IT sector is just like any other job.

To take an example of the streams posted in the first post, SAP, JAVA, .NET, ORACLE, BIPM, UNIX CPP, ASSURANCE, MAINFRAMES. All these are very much in use in the IT industry even today. You can talk to your peers or seniors in IT industry and get a gist of which technology you are most comfortable learning and start learning it.

That said, I don't think the IT company training centers leave you with a lot of choices about which domain to choose once you are inside, but that's a discussion for another day.

• Mahendra Jai Sudheer
    Mahendra Jai Sudheer

Which stream should I choose as I got offer from TCS , i wanna go to java, python , analytics ......can u guys give me a order...????(I'm from mech toooo)

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare

#-Link-Snipped-# You can choose like this ->

1. Java (Many Projects!)
    2. Dot Net
    3. SAP
    4. BIPM

• Vaibhav Chaturvedi
    Vaibhav Chaturvedi

I don't have coding background, however; I had studied C++ in higher secondary as main subject. Which Stream should I go for in TCS so that it will require minimum efforts to learn it. 

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

my groupmates come up with an idea of innovating the wireless mouse with scanner and a memory for storing the scanned image. but our professor required us to program an...
Hi friends i m really booring about my life what to do i m not getting . whats my mistake also i m not getting .
The car that has become the hottest topic of discussion among automobile enthusiasts is Maruti Suzuki S-Cross. For long, Indians have been waiting for the launch of S-Cross and finally...
I using win 10 from launching date. it grateful experience of new OS win 10. I feel my laptop like Windows mobile as I use windows phone. Mostly waiting for...
Zvezda NPP, a russian company has developed a new space suit that promises to make the space walk safer for astronauts. NASA recently reported that cosmonauts Gennady Padalka and Mikhail...