Stiffness of Spring???

Q : If the stiffness of the spring is 10 N/m having 20 turns. Now if the spring is cut into 2 equal pieces, so what will be the stiffness of each spring?

Replies

• Voltaire
    Voltaire
    Good question that tests your insight.
    The standard formula is F = kx where k is the proportionality constant (spring constant) and x denotes the amount of deformation from the original length.
    Look up Hooke's law of compression/stretching of a solid rod. You will notice that k corresponds to YA/L[sub]0[/sub] and that x corresponds to DL
    What do you think is the answer to your question and what is your reasoning?
  • samarjeetsaigal
    samarjeetsaigal
    thanks for explaining the formula... i don't know this answer, i only got the question not the answer???
    anyway thanks for the reply
  • Voltaire
    Voltaire
    You have to try first
    Sorry
  • vvishwaskumar
    vvishwaskumar
    samarjeetsaigal
    thanks for explaining the formula... i don't know this answer, i only got the question not the answer???
    anyway thanks for the reply
    stiffness will be 20 N/m...its right na...?
  • Voltaire
    Voltaire
    How did you calculate that answer and what is your reasoning?
  • vvishwaskumar
    vvishwaskumar
    Voltaire
    How did you calculate that answer and what is your reasoning?
    hello..
    f=kx..if f is constant and x (length) is half then k will be double..if m wrong then make me right..sorry..!!
  • Voltaire
    Voltaire
    No need to be sorry 😀

You are right

Hooke's law defines the spring constant as a characteristic of a spring which is defined as the ratio of the force affecting the spring to the displacement caused by it.
  • 070790vivek
    070790vivek
    vvishwaskumar
    hello..
    f=kx..if f is constant and x (length) is half then k will be double..if m wrong then make me right..sorry..!!
    here X does not define the length of spring it defines the deformation of spring on applying load
    in my view there should be other ans😕
  • Voltaire
    Voltaire
    I have to admit that I, too, struggled with this one because L[sub]2[/sub]/L[sub]1[/sub] is a ratio end I would have thought that the ratio would be the same for both coils. Apparently it is not! The shorter spring does not conform to the same ratio as the longer spring if the same force is applied. One has to think of it as a rubber band: a one metre band will stretch to say 2 metres while a [sup]1[/sup]/[sub]2[/sub] metre band of the same material will stretch to only say [sup]3[/sup]/[sub]4[/sub] metres if the same force is applied.
  • Capt Spark
    Capt Spark
    This is the helical spring stiffness formula:
    [​IMG]

If you cut into half, n is halved.. so k gets doubled
    It can be correlated to the stiffness of a uniform bar in tension too (K=AE/L). L reduces, K increases.
    Lots of things are easily available on this question in Google
  • 070790vivek
    070790vivek
    Ya very good this is the correct explanation & answer of this question.

I m totaly agree with u.
    In study of design of springs( m.d.) we have to use this equation
  • Krishna Moorthy
    Krishna Moorthy
    thanks for the answerwhich makes me to free from confusion
  • Krishna Moorthy
    Krishna Moorthy
    Thanks for the information

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

HI...!..iam doing my electrical engineering 2nd year ..im merely interested in desinging a sci-fi project😁 .the description of this project is as follows.. an iron ball floating against the gravitational...
Calling all young engineers and engineering students What would you say is the MOST important consideration in design across all disciplines of engineering and why would you say so? E.g....
Hi Everyone This is just a short intro to let you know who I am and how we can all help each other. I read Engineering and post-grad I read...
Good news! PayPal account holders in India can now withdraw their funds via electronic transfer. The facility has been resumed after it was put on hold few days ago. Following...
I recently published a post on VoiCE about the Digital Afterlife. Have a look: Digital Afterlife What do you think? Is there a solution to the problem mentioned there?