Steering force/torque depends on car speed

Could someone explain why the torque applied to the steering wheel decrease in the same time when car speed increase.
It is obvious behavior which we can observe in real life, but I would like to understand it basing on physics basics.

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    This explains it somewhat:
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • mathew89
    mathew89
    For sure there is detailed explanation for my question, but it seems to be so complex for me. In that possible to get the answer in more understandable words, please?

Thanks,
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Simpler is not necessarily accurate.
    One can look at it this way.
    At near zero speed the friction between the road and the tyre is more than at higher speeds. Secondly, at a higher speed the whole action covers a much longer distance than at low speed. The implication of this is that the angle over which the steering turns is less.
    The combined effect of both is a reduction of torque.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

After the success of its first sound bar, called the Juke Bar, Zebronics launched a better version- the Juke Bar 2. Zebronics is a well known company here in India,...
The Facebook acquired instant messaging application WhatsApp Inc. has recently unveiled the latest version update of WhatsApp, coded with simple but useful features. The Update crafted as v2.16.118, now allows...
Flip today’s date, it becomes 21. For all the technophiles out in India, HP has recently fixed the official launch date for its latest, thinnest Laptop product, HP Spectre to...
Bluetooth SIG is all set up to roll out the new version of Bluetooth technology, named Bluetooth 5. Bluetooth has always been a very integrated and significant of devices like...
Sturgeon’s Law says that ninety percent of everything is crap. How far is that accurate? Is is correct at all?