Mechanical Engineer starting career in IT field

I have posted this query many times but didn't get any expert advice i expected. I am a mechanical engineer and will be leaving my job from next month. Job prospects are good in mechanical if you get selected for campus from tier 1 college. For rest of us its hardwork+lots of luck. I have following reasons to go in IT field.
1) no job satisfaction in my current job .
2) Lack of quality jobs for off campus students.
3)I have been learning python myself and have ability to learn new things be it from any engineering field.
4)money
I have set programming as an alternative career option if i don't get desired job in mechanical. But learning java and other courses will take some time and i dont want my decision to backfire and risk spending time and money on these courses if recruiters aren't interested in hiring a mechanical guy for coding.
Kindly help

Replies

• Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Deadman
    I have posted this query many times but didn't get any expert advice i expected. I am a mechanical engineer and will be leaving my job from next month. Job prospects are good in mechanical if you get selected for campus from tier 1 college. For rest of us its hardwork+lots of luck. I have following reasons to go in IT field.
    3)I have been learning python myself and have ability to learn new things be it from any engineering field.
    4)money
    I have set programming as an alternative career option if i don't get desired job in mechanical. But learning java and other courses will take some time and i dont want my decision to backfire and risk spending time and money on these courses if recruiters aren't interested in hiring a mechanical guy for coding.
    Kindly help
    Honestly, I don't think it matters that if they're hiring a mech guy, what matters is how good you are at understanding things, grab up with their code base and develop/maintain software.

With Python, learn a framework like Flask/Django. Django is really very popular. Some front-end development would be an added advantage. 👍
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Tagging #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# I believe these people could answer your query.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    I too had the same question some month back but i am back to mech job. I too attended a top IT company offcampus.I passed my online test, attended my hr round , waited for months to get a regret mail. I dont know why they call for all graduates when they want CS or IT graduates. My word is that stick to your field.You will reap good job in near future. Dont be attracted to IT llife
  • Deadman
    Deadman
    SarathKumar Chandrasekaran
    I too had the same question some month back but i am back to mech job. I too attended a top IT company offcampus.I passed my online test, attended my hr round , waited for months to get a regret mail. I dont know why they call for all graduates when they want CS or IT graduates. My word is that stick to your field.You will reap good job in near future. Dont be attracted to IT llife
    Any specific reason for this. Most IT, cs graduates i have seen learn coding after graduation before job.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    i say that they give high preference to specific fields though i believe all candidates learn new job related things after joining the job by 1 to 2 year crash cources offered by Company that recruits the candidates. All the student must posses to rise is love to learn new things. But after all, Its the recruiters that decide the life pattern of students
  • Ambarish Ganesh
    Ambarish Ganesh
    Deadman
    4)money
    Kindly help
    I'm a mechanical graduate working in the IT field (somehow related to Mech though), and one thing is clear - moving on from Mech to IT does not guarantee job satisfaction.

Fortunately I got placed via campus and was saved the trouble the off-campus job-seekers face, and I totally understand the frustration one feels putting a single resume through different doors with almost zero success. Also, the desperation of jumping onto the IT wagon is quite apparent, but again, working in IT may not equate to job satisfaction.

I've got overjoyed friends in mech and disappointed friends in mech, and the same set of colleagues in IT as well. All depends on the project you're assigned to, and whether you're getting to employ your skills towards the "job". I had too many expectations when I marched into office and was very disappointed when reality struck. But then you always hope for the best and work towards attaining it, and if the best is not what you get, you make do with what you've got. I now like my current work because it gives me enough time to explore other ventures which I find personally fulfilling. Majority of my peers (who weren't satisfied) have already moved on to higher education or have shifted companies where they *may* get a better project.

It's good that you're learning programming, but that's not mandatory to get into IT. Many mechanical engineers have entered IT in the support/testing roles and then shifted to development project. People have moved both ways. Hope this helps. Good luck.
  • Deadman
    Deadman
    I agree with your point regarding job satisfaction but getting into programming field(or some other interesting mech fields) can get the best out of me is the way i think.
    I would like to explore things besides earning money.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi guys, I need suggestion. Do u guys have some innovative ideas. Well I want to develope game same as that of clash of clans. Plz suggest me how can...
Hello everybody! can anyone really help me to how to learn dynamic programming!!
Wishing one of the strongest force on CrazyEngineers @A.V.Ramani a very very happy birthday! 😁🎉 He joined CrazyEngineers on April 2nd, 2011. It's been 4 really awesome years of interacting...
America's DARPA aka Defense Advance Research Projects Agency continues to make weapons that know one thing: hit the target, no matter what. The latest innovation comes from the 'Extreme Accuracy...
The South Korean Corp. LG, has listed its new dual-SIM (both micro-SIM) Android smartphone called ‘LG Magna’ on its official website after launching LG Spirit, last month. The latest handset...