SQLite Vs MySQL:Better RDBMS for desktop application?

So I am creating a Java+SQL desktop application.Which is a better RDBMS?SQLite or MySQL ? I Googled it and in one site it says that SQLite is an embedded RDBMS and better for desktop applications.Yet in several others it says that MySQL is most popular and better than sqlite,but no one has a definite answer on why one is better than the other.
According to you which is better.Which will be able to support a database of about 500 students.Which is faster?Pros and cons of both?

Replies

• Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    I think you should better go with MySql. you will get more knowledge about configuring and using a widely used DB.
    If resource crunch then SqlLite can be better option.
  • Mridusmita Roy
    Mridusmita Roy
    Thanks for the reply.Will go with MySQL then!
  • rahul69
    rahul69
    Mridusmita Roy
    So I am creating a Java+SQL desktop application.Which is a better RDBMS?SQLite or MySQL ? I Googled it and in one site it says that SQLite is an embedded RDBMS and better for desktop applications.Yet in several others it says that MySQL is most popular and better than sqlite,but no one has a definite answer on why one is better than the other.
    According to you which is better.Which will be able to support a database of about 500 students.Which is faster?Pros and cons of both?
    I would say it depends on application, if your application is having server side database which is to be accessed frequently and the load will be high and most importantly, the no. of simultaneous db connections are more, then go with mysql, but if it's a desktop application and you are going to maintain db's on each computer (instead of db's on a central db server) and less load, better to go for SQLite, as the best thing about SQLite is that it's simple and lightweight.
    Hope it helps!
  • Shubham danewala
    Shubham danewala
    I want create data base to store govt. holiday date in database and this date retrieved from data base and compare to current date if true then send the email to the student.
    conclusion is automatically send the message to the student on govt. holiday...
    please reply fast
  • Vishal Sharma
    Vishal Sharma
    Shubham danewala
    I want create data base to store govt. holiday date in database and this date retrieved from data base and compare to current date if true then send the email to the student.
    conclusion is automatically send the message to the student on govt. holiday...
    please reply fast
    Okay, we got what you want. But, what is your question?
  • simplycoder
    simplycoder
    Also you can try your hands on postgres dbms

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The new app, called 'Dowell' will now open the world of smartphones to people with arm paralysis, muscular dystrophy, ALS and other ailments that limit the movements. The app has...
Acer has released updated versions of its Iconia One 8 and Iconia Tab 10 Android tablets. Instead of renaming the products by adding a number increment, Acer has just changed...
Lenovo has been on fire ever since the launch of its spectacular A6000 smartphone whose sales began in January this year exclusively via Flipkart. The company has silently unveiled yet...
(Clinton Rushing posted this on FB) Quote: Have you ever wondered what Google Search really knows about you? Well, now you can check, as Google has added a new feature...
Most car ads show long distance, high speed or other extreme performance behaviors which are largely irrelevant to normal urban use. It is said that a 10% weight reduction can...