speed of the driving wheel

hi all

what is the relation between , the speed of the driving wheel of an automobile , to the speed of the automobile ?

i am sure that the speed of the wheel will not coincide with the speed of the vehicle it self.

for example : if the speed of the driving wheel is 50 rpm, then the speed of the vehicle neednt necessarily be 50 kmph , should it ?

so therefore what is the mathematical relation between them

now if the maximum speed of the vehicle is known along with the diameter of the driving wheel , then how to arrive at the speed of the driving wheel ?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# Are you trying to find out a relation between the linear & rotational speed of the vehicle?
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    The linear speed which at which wheel runs is the speed of vehicle. I agree with Biggie and want to know if you are trying to find relation between rotational and linear speed.

I would recommend you to have a look at how power train works. Also, one of the functions of power train is to produce traction. Wheels are just an instrument to see the results.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    zaveri
    for example : if the speed of the driving wheel is 50 rpm, then the speed of the vehicle neednt necessarily be 50 kmph , should it ?
    ok I got your question. What you really want is the conversion of rpm to Kmph.

V=R*W

here R is the radius of wheel and W is the angular speed in rps.
    V will be linear speed in m/sec.
  • CE Designer
    CE Designer
    Issue
    ok I got your question. What you really want is the conversion of rpm to Kmph.

V=R*W

here R is the radius of wheel and W is the angular speed in rps.
    V will be linear speed in m/sec.
    Yup thats it. Hehe confused me for a split second too. Twas a simple question but phrased so vaguely. 😁
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    thanx guys

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Thelma Estrin became the first woman president of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society. A remarkable multifaceted woman, who did many interesting jobs in her career. Here is...
Here is an (animated) history of how animated GIFs began: https://www.engadget.com/2012/03/08/pbs-traces-the-history-of-animated-gifs-deal-with-it/
The current decade seems to be obsessed with the electric vehicles and hybrid cars. Several big companies have either launched electric cars or are designing them. The USP of these...
Suggest me Android phone. . . . My Budget :- INR 8-9K Screen:- Minimum 3.2" Camera:- 3.2 MP or more Thanks, 😀
I have a problem with my google account. Whenever I search something, earlier a new tab would open for search page. But now when I search something on web, new...