Sound waves can be used to detect homemade bombs from a distance

Engineers have successfully developed an acoustic system capable of detecting home-made explosives & bombs. The main advantage of the new system is that the bombs can be detected from a safer distance. At present, most methods require the bomb detectors to be in closer proximity of the bomb which has proven to be very dangerous. Engineer Douglas Adams presented the new system at the Dynamic Systems & Controls Conference organised by American Society of Mechanical Engineers.

Doug-Adams
Image Credit: John Russel / Vanderbilt​

The new system developed by Adams along with Christopher Watson & Jeffrey Rhoads from Purdue University & John Scales from Colorado School of Mines aimed at detection of bombs from a distance. It comprises of a phased acoustic array that beams sound waves at the suspected object. At the same time, a device called laser vibrometer measures how the object is vibrating in response to the sound beam. The nature of vibration reveals a great depth of information about what the object is.

Schematic-250x221

The researchers believe that the best way to detect explosives is to use ultrasonic waves. Adam and his team are now working on studying frequencies that can penetrate other materials like cloth. We believe such systems would play a crucial role in countries like India. We'd like to ask our engineers whether similar systems can be developed as a part of your engineering projects.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#​

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

If humans ever decide to settle on the moon; they'd definitely need oxygen, water & a high-speed Internet connection. Looks like the problem of having a high-speed Internet connection on...
Apple co-founder, Steve Wozniak says that the's not impressed with the new iPad Air. Instead of the specs upgrade; he'd have loved to see an iPad with higher storage capacity....
Around six months back, I posted this thread on my hdd problem. I couldn't find solution for that, so I bought another new HD & was not using failed HD....
hi frienz i am showing a screenshot of facebook page can anyone tell me what is the meaning of the symbol marked in red ?
Google Chrome is reporting that the official PHP site, php.net contains malware that can harm your computer. Google Chrome usually is correct about identifying infected websites or websites that may...