SOP Evaluation anyone?

Hi,
I am done with the initial draft of the SOP for my grad school application.
Would anyone be willing to evaluate it?
If so, please give me your email ID. I'll send it over.
Thank You

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Why not attach it here in your post? You could hit the 'Upload a File' button below the thread and attach a file.
  • jGOAT
    jGOAT
    Well, in that case, I would want to restrict it to only few members. Is that possible??
    If its not, I would prefer the email.
    I hope you understand.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Just use PM feature PM #-Link-Snipped-# and he will tag in some people who can give you apt information
  • jGOAT
    jGOAT
    Thanks for the suggestion Jeffrey.
    I've sent an email to The_Big_K.
  • yedlaakshay24
    yedlaakshay24
    FIRSTLY I WOULD LIKE TO INTRODUCE MY SELF AS AN UNDERGRADUATE STUDENT OF THE BACHELOUR OF ENGINEERING PROGRAM FROM MRCE THE MOST PRESTIGIOUS INSTITUTION IN HYDERABAD . I HAVE COMPLETED MY COARSE OF ENGINEERING IN THE FIELD OF MECHANICAL , WHICH WAS FOR A PERIOD OF 4 YEARS.
    EVER SINCE I REMEMBER , I HAVE BEEN FASCINATED BY THE WAY THINGS WORK AND THE WAY THEY ARE MANUFACTURED . I USED TO WATCH EACH AND EVERY SCIENCE SHOWS IN DISCOVERY CHANNEL , I USED TO GET INVOLVED INTO THESE SCIENCE SHOWS BY SEEING THIS MY PARENTS AND TEACHERS SUGGESTED MECHANICAL ENGINEERING AS A LOGICAL CARRER FOR ME .
    MY UNDERGRADUATE PROGRAM WAS A MIX OF THEORY AND PRACTISE .INTRESTING SUBJECTS LIKE PROCESS PLANNING AND COST ESTIMATION ,ADVANCED I C ENGINES ETC COMPELLED ME TO SEEK EXTENDED KNOWLEDGE OUTSIDE THE REALM OF SYLLABUS. MY PASSION FOR MANUFACTURING CAME TO PEAKS WHEN I HAVE DONE MY INTERNSHIP IN VIZAG STEEL , WHICH IS THE 1ST SHORE BASED INTEGRATED STEEL PLANT IN THE COUNTRY. I LEARNED THE MAKING OF STEEL ONLY IN BOOKS HOWEVER I CAN STIL REMEMBER MY SURPRISE AFTER SEEING HOW MANUFACTURING PROCESS STARTED FROM THE DIGGING OF IRON FOLLOWED BY A LONG , SEEMINGLY ENDLESS CHAIN OF PROCESSES AND FINALLY ENDING WITH THE TESTING OF STEEL FOR ITS VARIOUS REQUIREMENT PROPERTIES .WHAT IMPRESSED WAS HOW THE SEQUENCE OF PROCESSES WAS DECIDED AND HOW IT WORKED OUT SO INFALLIBLY FINE
    Right from a young age I have drawn inspiration from my mother. I have seen her working sleeplessly for entire nights reading journals, surfing on net, making notes for her profession and when I used to ask her why she puts in so much effort, she used to reply that she was not doing this out of compulsion; rather, it was something that she enjoyed doing. Her reply used to confound me then, but now through my undergraduate study I have understood how much fun it could be in working hard on something that one is truly passionate about. I feel I would be really lucky if I can get to build a career in something that I enjoy doing. So, after completing my graduate studies I would like to further do some research .
    While doing my undergraduate project at vizag steel , on increasing life span of bull head hammers (bull head hammers are used for crushing lime stone and dolamite which are used in blast furnace for making of steel), the main reason for decreased life span of bull head hammers was lack in scheduling the process at the time of manufacturing them , we found solution for this and we rearranged the processes while manuacturing bull head hammers and we found amazing results with considerably increased life span .
    My decision to pursue graduate studies at the Columbia University is not an impulsive one. It is based on the information I have gathered from my professors and current students in the university. The IEOR @ Columbia website has been a great tool for finding detailed information about the programs and activities of the department. It was then while undergoing the research of so and so professor on this that I knew I would give anything for being a part of it. I know my grades aren't top notch but I also know that pedagogues like you are known to value passion and I believe I have nothing lacking in that department. I believe that the environs of Columbia will not only help me achieve my goals but also provide an opportunity to develop a multifaceted personality, to help me fathom all avenues of my talent, such that I am able to contribute my share to this society in full.
  • yedlaakshay24
    yedlaakshay24
    can anyone evaluate my sop , due to my key board problem my caps wz on , thanks in advance !
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    Do not take any offense, but the SOP ^ has a lot of grammatical and typographical errors. Also, the sentence construction seems incorrect is a few places. If you are applying to Columbia, I suppose you are doing so for the FALL 2017/Spring 2017 semester. You have plenty of time to correct this SOP and make something that:

Provides an introduction of yourself, your background and at the very least mentions why you want to pursue your graduate studies at Columbia, which track in Mechanical Engineering you want to pursue (I get a sense it is Manufacturing in your case), if there is any particular group you want to do research with and if any, particular professors. If there is such a group (or a particular professor) that you want to be a part of, do not forget to write the research that caught your attention and how you may want to contribute.

Take these comments constructively. All the very best.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

It's Diwali season in India and that means big bucks for all the telecom network operators. Indians get obsessed with sending and forwarding the "Happy Diwali" SMS to each other...
can anyone suggest me the link where i can find and download audios related to space shuttle launch!! i specially need the count down parts during the launch
Honda's entering into the diesel powered car markets with a new car - Honda Amaze, to be launched in India and Thailand next year. The car is said to be...
hello to all. . .i would like to thanks to this site specially to Mr. Praveen-Kumar to help me with my project. . .I have passed my programming subject to...
Samsung has launched its all new Samsung Galaxy Camera in India. Running Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean), this Camera can take pictures at 16mp and will come with a 16GB free...