Sony Plans To Launch Detachable Smartphone Lenses

After the dawn and dusk of All-in-one tablet computers, it's time for the equilibrium of universes that is maintained by the smartphone-camera conjunction to dismantle itself. In simpler words, Sony is raring to launch a lens that's bodiless. In fact, it's just a lens, true to its name, void of a supporting structure, or a screen. Sony is essentially bringing sophisticated camera lenses to smartphones but not quite like Nokia is planning to with the 41-megapixel phone. The Sony lenses are huge, self-dependent with a built-in sensor, power source, and WiFi connectivity. Strap it on a smartphone or a tablet and as long as you are in the WiFi range, your phone will act as a live viewfinder and take photos.

Sony RX100M2
According to Sony Alpha Rumors (which has given this news a grade of SR5, making it 'almost certainly correct'), the first lens will feature the same sensor and lens as the recently released RX100M2 point-and-shoot camera. The RX100M2 is equipped with a 1-inch back-illuminated 21-megapixel Exmor R sensor, and a f/1.8-4.9 Carl Zeiss lens with 3.6x optical zoom. Early reviews are in favor of the camera and its picture quality. The photos will be transferred to the smartphone/tablet with a WiFi and NFC link. Sony is also reported to be working on another version of the lens, which is smaller and has more zooming power. The camera lens is expected to have a universal mount for smartphones. Unless... the smartphone is not wide enough to cover the dimensions of the lens. Though, most phablets should be compatible with the idea. No price or release date is available as of yet. But as it is the existence of such a lens is almost confirmed, would you buy it?

Sony Lens

Source: Sony to launch lenses with built-in image sensors, screenless cameras that can be attached to smartphones | ExtremeTech

Replies

• Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Though it may be big it will be useful for Camera lovers.Sony is the best cam+phone maker in the world.Do you agree?
  • lal
    lal
    If the lenses are going to cost a lot, eh, it won't be worth it. But if I can have a bunch of lenses with a few thousands, it could be fun playing around. But I doubt how cheap it is going to be.
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    I've to test it with my Samsung Note 2. If it works, I'd be lucky enough not to buy a digital camera for the sake of just taking pictures and videos. 😏

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The upcoming new Google's Nexus 7's specification,images,video & even price tag has leaked all over the internet.The new Nexus 7 is going to make it's debut on July 24th. Configuration...
Google, the real-world's Skynet was founded to two geeks : Larry Page & Sergey Brin and since then the company is achieving heights. Google recently had it's Q2 2013 earnings...
I just found this article, which gives the required information for the licensing of the software. Developers take a look : https://opensource.com/law/13/6/quick-open-source-licensing
ZTE, the global telecommunications company from China has launched six new Android smartphones and four 3G datacards for the Indian consumers. With a price range that would suit a variety...
There will be many reasons to thank CE.So lets flood in to say thanks to www.crazyengineers.com for your reasons.The reason can be anything on CE. I thank Kaustubh Katdare for...