SONY EspressOn Attachable Camera Lens For Smartphones- Imaging Awesomeness Redefined!

Sony's latest flagship device, the Xperia Z1, has got some outstanding specs to boast about, and one specific feature of the Android beauty that really had our attention arrested is the camera lens add-on, which even connects to iPhone via Bluetooth. Sources state that this attachment shall be called EspressOn. There've been a few leaks recently that reveal more about the lens attachment. Reportedly, there shall be two attachments- 1) the DSC-QX100, which is very much alike the RX-100 II point and shoot camera, i.e., featuring a 1-inch 20-megapixel Exmor R sensor with an f/1.8 Carl Zeiss lens. 2) the DSC-QX10 shall be a cheaper getaway, featuring a 18-megapixel CMOS sensor plus an f/3.5-3.9 lens.

sony camera addon

Reports suggest that both lenses have a dedicated power button, microphone, tripod mount, display panel for battery and SD card, shutter button, zoom lever and a multifunctional jack. The DSC-QX100 shall have additional ring controls for manual operation. The 'lens cameras' have got every component to enhance the imaging, plus it also employs a wireless link that lets you use your smartphone as a viewfinder (that's cool!).

Price and availability of these 'lens cameras' is unknown as of yet.

Replies

• Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    What is the point of adding lens for cameras on phone. Phone cameras were introduced for social networing purposes. this is going way beyond that. I dont think buying such phones is necessary. It will be a pain to use them too.
  • Ambarish Ganesh
    Ambarish Ganesh
    Nayan Goenka
    What is the point of adding lens for cameras on phone. Phone cameras were introduced for social networing purposes. this is going way beyond that. I dont think buying such phones is necessary. It will be a pain to use them too.
    I think this would be a great replacement for your regular camera. Nowadays mostly everyone's shelling abour Rs 30k-40k on a mobile phone, and instead of a camera, if I could just buy this adjustable lens to mount on my smartphone for a comparatively lower price, I'm all game. But yes, all depends on how Sony manages the "handling" and "pricing" part.
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    Still the usability of this device will be hampered a lot. And adding up extra costly lenses to your phone must have adverse effects on your battery life, signal etc. I am not sure if this is a good idea. And a regular photographer will still prefer the normal camera I guess. Maybe digital or DSLR. Mobile cams were an addon.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    1-inch 20-megapixel Exmor R sensor
    How could it be possible with that small lens.😲
    Look like even diameter is not 1".
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    This os what we are expecting and a brand like sony comes clear on customer satisfaction.I would consider and make a try to test it if I am a photographer.
    Its better to get a review from the user.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    CSK AUTO
    This os what we are expecting and a brand like sony comes clear on customer satisfaction.I would consider and make a try to test it if I am a photographer.
    Its better to get a review from the user.
    I doubt a photographer can live without manual focus and true optical viewfinder😀
  • KSS Manian
    KSS Manian
    This is could be a really innovative idea. It will even better, if there is an option of manually adjustable lens like DSLR & attaching additional lens for our needs. i hope this could not dry the battery.
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    I dont think it is justified that it will consume less battery.If you want such a high performance camera and you demand a feature of extra detachable lens, it will obviously screw up the battery. What about the body strength. It should be able to handle the weight while using these gadgets in addon mode.
  • KSS Manian
    KSS Manian
    Weight is not playing a major role. i have Nikon D3000, which is weigh around 450gms.
    I think the display will consume additional power to produce the high resolution.
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    Check out the sleekness of the main body of the phone without the camera and then the width of camera lens. Do you think it will balance the weight and provide good usability to fit into user's hands. When you attack extra lens as demanded earlier here, I am sure it will tend to slip out. The original DSLR design is good balance where the body itself is strong. Here the main body is sleek
  • KSS Manian
    KSS Manian
    See, if i am attaching an additional lens to my cam. I am holding (concentrate) the projecting part of the lens. (What ever you are said are right - If i am going to place my camera in the floor then i need to balance or neutralise the weigh.) why should i need, when it is in my hand and also see one thing, it is not a professional camera. We will going to use an occasionally.
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    The only reason that stops me from giving a harsher review is its portability to use in hand. There is a hope that the user will use it in best possible way. But you got to consider one thing. This gadget is no way below Rs 50000. Which means it is not just for casual photography. It is a professional approach. And that needs better. Two types of people will buy this.
    1: Super Freak and extreme rich photography nerds
    2: Poor and almost affordable professional photographers.
  • KSS Manian
    KSS Manian
    You didn't consider it as an additional feature of the smartphone. I think, It consist of 3000mAh battery, 2.2Ghz quad core processor, 2GB Ram, Expandable memory, etc.,
    I dont think i will pay $800 only for the camera. Without this feature you will get the smartphone having the above mentioned config you will have to pay atleast $600 minimum. Any way i am closing this debate 👍👎 Cheers..
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    KSS manian
    I dont think i will pay $800 only for the camera.
    Yes,
    I would buy f1.2 lens, instead 😁
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    Well it wasnt a debate I took as it of but a healthy discussion where you had legit points and me too. 😛

Plus personally I am not a photography freak so I wont think of purchasing this gadget. Anyways healthy discussion

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

can anyone give a suggesion that what project on automobile or heat transfer can be done?It should be some of automobile problems which can be cured.Please help.
Is it because every other components are installed on it?
​Read the graph & tell us what can we do to fix this?
.I am second year ee student.i a awaiting for doing great project in electronics field.
Well, Comedo is a hair follicle (pore) on your skin which most of us must have felt annoying. It is of two types: Blackhead (open follicle) and White head (closed...