Sony Background Defocus App On Android For Sony Xperia Users

Sony, the leading manufacturer of smartphones, tablets and cameras and launched yet another new app for photography buffs with a Sony Xperia smartphone. Called the 'Background Defocus' app, the company has launched it on the Google Play Store for an Xperia phone running Android 4.2 Jelly Bean or above. The app is here to assist you in capturing the photos in the professional style. It lets you put objects in focus and blur the background, so that the person or the object can really stand out in the picture. The technology behind the app works on simulating a shallow depth of field by creating a blurred out background.

Lately, the trend has been to capture photos with a beautiful blurred background, with the person in focus, actually in the focus. The app lets you do just that. It captures two photos with different focus settings, which you can bring together to create a photo with one object in sharp focus, against the defocused background. Here's an example of how the effect will look on a photo.

Sony-Background-defocus-app

How does it work?

Well, to use the app, you should install the app and start the camera. In the camera's setting, choose the "Background defocus" mode. Once ON, tap the object you want to focus on in the viewfinder. Once it adjusts to the way you want it to, change the blur level and blur effect with the controls on the screen and just click on the capture button.

The developers suggest that to get really good results, you should focus on an object that is at least 0.5-1.5 feet away and make sure the background object is 5 meter away from focus target. Moreover, they give us a fair warning by saying that the captured image's result is dependent on device and camera specification. Lastly, do not forget to hold the camera steady.

What do you think about the Background Defocus app? Share your reviews with us in comments below.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Rajni Jain
    Rajni Jain
    Sharing one of the image captured using this app..
    original
    How do you like this?
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I always thought that such images could only be captured using fancy cameras only.
    I think I will go check if there are other apps with similar functionality on Android. If anyone finds out anything that offers the same picture quality with background blur, please share.
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Rajni Jain
    Sharing one of the image captured using this app..
    original
    How do you like this?
    Which phone do you use? And was this your click?

Good work Sony with this background defocus aka Bokeh option 👍. And a usable option any-day! Threat to DSLR users [Non Professionals] if these technologies keep advancing.☕

P.S.: Does anyone know how to adjust shutter speeds i.e. in bulb mode using a smart-phone. That's one thing I'm waiting for.😒

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

If like us you love Pinterest app for iOS and Android, here's a great new feature to make your life a tad easier. Pinterest has announced 'Guided Search' - a...
Hello . I am Abishek chander, compleated my BTech ( ECE ) a few days back ...I want to take training in VLSI ....Is it a good choiice or not....
Corning, the company famous for developing the Gorilla Glass, used in so many top-notch smartphones to protect our touchscreen displays, has finally arrived in India. With the aim to solidify...
If you are still not back from the awe of wearable technology, be prepared to have your mind blown with the latest research work in a new form of "spaser"...
Researchers from Australian National University (ANU) have developed a new lens-making procedure wherein drops of silicone are baked in an oven to produce high quality lenses that are unbelievably cheap....