Sony Announces ‘PlayStation Now’ Game Streaming Service At CES 2014

Sony has managed bring another innovation to the console gaming industry by announcing the availability of its new game streaming service, PlayStation Now (PS Now). PS Now will let users’ stream famous games from PlayStation’s library of games to PS4, PS3 and handheld PS Vita console. Apart from PlayStation devices, the video games can also be streamed on the latest models of Sony BRAVIA HDTVs but you would require an internet connection of 5MBps and above and a Dual Shock controller to play the game. This means you do not need to own a PlayStation to play PlayStation titles. PS Now uses Gaikai’s cloud based technology to stream video games to devices in the same way you stream multimedia files. Since your device does not handle any computing tasks (the cloud computing takes care of it) the games can also be streamed on other internet connected devices like smartphones and tablets.

PS Now (2)

The subscription based service will allow users to access the updated version of the game every time they login with their Sony Entertainment Network account. The system supports saved game functionality, online multiplayer, trophies and messages. Apart from subscribing to the service, gamers will be given the option to rent the titles of their choice. Sony has not disclosed a exhaustive list of games that can be streamed over the service but for tech demonstration purposes the PS Now is streaming titles like The Last of Us, God of War: Ascension, Beyond: Two Souls and Puppeteer to BRAVIA HDTVs at CES 2014.

PS Now (1)

Sony announced in its #-Link-Snipped-# that PS Now will be launched in the US as a beta program by the end of January and will be rolled out to the public by summer. For its European fans, Sony says in the #-Link-Snipped-# that it cannot confirm any launch date of the PS Now service for PAL territories since Europe is a ‘complex region’ when it comes to broadband provision. But all is not lost yet, as it goes on by saying that it is working hard to bring the game streaming service to this region as soon as possible.

Replies

• Satya Swaroop Dash
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    Sony has not divulged on any details on how a PlayStation Game can be streamed on mobile devices. It has also remained mum about the beta program but promises to announce the criteria to be a beta tester of this service very soon.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Curious to know whether this service is available for Indian PS3 users. I checked in my PS3 and it says that PlayStation Now is not yet available. I wonder why India isn't on Sony's list for PS NOW services.

PS: Or is it just my PS3 that's faulty? 😁
  • Satya Swaroop Dash
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    The service won’t be available for Indian PS3 users any time soon because Sony is worried about internet speeds in other territories.

Here is their explanation for not launching PS Now in European markets (the same applies to India, I think)

As you can see in the details below, it will launch in North America later this year. Unfortunately we’re not quite ready to confirm launch plans for PAL territories. When it comes to broadband provision, Europe is a considerably more complex region, with a huge number of different providers and varying connection speeds from country to country. In short, we need a little more time to ensure a smooth and successful roll-out.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Yeah - the damned Internet speeds. I think that's one of the reasons Microsoft isn't making their XBOX ONE ready for other regions. Everyone wants to sell to the Americans! 😀
  • Satya Swaroop Dash
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    Update: Sony has now started sending invites for the beta testing of the PlayStation Now game streaming service. The service is still limited to the US and testers will need to hook up their consoles with a minimum 5Mbps internet connection to get better results.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Everyone saw how Michael Bay walked off the stage because the teleprompter went on and off - and he couldn't think of the lines to speak at introduction of 105"...
OneWheel is your awesome, self-balancing one wheel skateboard that guarantees boosting your coolness factor by at least 10x. This personal, electric transporter is simple to use and does some crazy...
while i'm browsing in internet(default browser in android) the application is suddenly closing showing "unfortunately the application has closed" what i want to do to stop this type of closing.
Honda Cars India Ltd. (HCIL) has made the all-new Honda City 2014 official in India. Launched in two variants Petrol and Diesel the Honda City 4th generation, was one of...
CDAC 2014 admission season is ongoing and a lot of aspiring students are looking for information on first round of counselling. This discussion thread is dedicated to all the information...