Sony A7S - The Full-Frame Mirrorless Camera That Shoots Videos In 4K Resolution

Last year, Sony entered the mirrorless camera market by launching A7 and A7R and now it looks like the company wants to establish itself in this market. The Japanese company has unveiled a new full-frame mirrorless camera Alpha 7S which can record videos in 4K resolution. The ‘S’ in A7S stands for sensitivity. It features a 12.2-megapixel full frame sensor and supports E-mount lenses. This makes the mirrorless camera ideal for high-contrast scenes and produces more beautiful and low-noise images even in the darkest environments. Also, Sony has introduced a very wide ISO range from ISO 50-409,600and is capable of capturing still images in JPG or a 14-bit raw format.
sonyA7S

The A7S comes with the ability to shoot up to 30fps 4K or QFHD (3840×2160 pixels) video. But to record 4K videos, an external recorder needs to be plugged into the camera since the camera’s storage will record only up to 60frames/sec full HD (1920×1080 pixels) at max.Moreover, Sony claims that the A7S will produce video with reduced aliasing and color artifacts since it uses the full width of the sensor. Look wise, it is similar to the other two cameras- A7 and A7R and comes with the amazing electronic OLED viewfinder, the beautiful 2,359,296-dot screen, WiFi and NFC. Further, it also supports time code, and can synchronize time code with other devices. There is an add-on adapter available to add balanced XLR audio input. Like its predecessor Alpha 7, 7S also supports an electronic first curtain shutter and you will be amused to hear that its shutter can shoot as quickly as 1/8,000 of a second.

While the camera is expected to be launched this summer, its price is still kept under the wraps. Meanwhile, take a look at this official video release from Sony:

Source: Sony's alpha7S Full-Frame Camera Realizes a New World of Imaging Expression

Replies

• Satya Swaroop Dash
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    Call me old fashioned but I want Sony to bring back Carl-Zeiss lenses in its cameras instead of pushing for its own lenses. With this model I hope that Sony has rectified their mistake of heavy post processing of images that resulted in grainy and washed out colours.
  • Chirayu Samarth
    Chirayu Samarth
    Sony has justified its decrease in resolution of A7S (12.2MP), compared to 24.3MP and 36.4MP in the A7 and A7R to achieve that kind of sensitivity.
  • Rajni Jain
    Rajni Jain
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    Call me old fashioned but I want Sony to bring back Carl-Zeiss lenses in its cameras instead of pushing for its own lenses. With this model I hope that Sony has rectified their mistake of heavy post processing of images that resulted in grainy and washed out colours.
    That's not old fashioned.
    Carl-Zesis lenses were the best thing Sony have had in past.

For me, primary job of DSLR's should be clicking high resolutions pictures. For high quality videos why not use handy cams specially designed for video recordings? So Sony should not attempt to make this a selling point for new entrant in the series.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Apple was the first company to introduce the 64-bit architecture chipsets which debuted in iPhone 5s. The 64-bit CPU - Apple A7 was based on ARMv8 instructions. Now the news...
A new Kickstarter campaign has been launched for yet another innovative project created by M3D LLC. The company boasts of a compact, useful and affordable 3D printer. The printer is...
dear friends and seniors i am very new to etabs and i wasn't very good with structure design and analysis either so some of the question might seem very easy...
Despite the enormous technological advancement in mobiles, laptops and portable electronic devices, if you ask - what is that one thing about these that bugs you the most? - A...
I've always wanted to own a BMW S1000RR and finally, it's arrived! It sure is a beast!