Solar Powered Hydrogen Production Device Achieves World Record Breaking 22% Efficiency

Researchers at the Monash University have succeeded in developing a new solar powered hydrogen production device that operates at world record-breaking 22% efficiency. This new device breaks the earlier efficiency record of 18% and makes way for hydrogen to be used as an inexpensive and more accessible fuel. Use of hydrogen will not only help cope up with the climate change and even keep check on acidification of ocean, caused by fossil fuels, to a greater extent.

If you were regular at your Chemistry class, you'd know that the process of electrochemical splitting of water allows for generation of hydrogen and oxygen. The lead researcher of the project, Prof. Leone Spiccia from the School of Chemistry explains that the latest breakthrough is an important step further in the direction of efficiently producing a cheap, clean and renewable source of hydrogen.

hydrogen-fuel-efficiency
Image Source: #-Link-Snipped-#​

Prof. Doug MacFarlane from the ARC Centre of Excellence for Electromaterials Science at the Monash University said that this recent breakthrough is a result of the advanced expertise of the team in electro-splitting of water. The team tuned the entire process to achieve higher efficiency with commercial multi-junction solar cells viz. indium gallium phosphide, gallium arsenide and germanium. He further added that hydrogen is the cleanest fuel as it does not contain carbon and does not produce CO2 upon combustion.

The research team used expanded foam nickel electrodes to increase the available surface area for electrolysis. The team used local river water as electrolyte along with sodium phosphate and sodium chloride as standard pH buffer.

The team has been able to claim efficiency of 22%, the highest efficiency possible continues to be a point of debate. More efficient production of hydrogen makes way for cars that don't cause pollution.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-# | #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello , I'm in Manual testing and i want to switch to Automation , can you please suggest me any exam for so that it will help my Manager will...
I need an idea to start my final year project. Plz do suggest me some exciting ideas
hi i am sanjoy kundu b tech final year student..in ECE.. i want to join software company....Please suggest me, what my next step should be.?& also suggest me if i...
Hello everyone, I am a 3rd yr CSE student. I need some reference books for these particular subjects as mentioned above to prepare for "GATE" 👀 . I know for...
Friends i need ideas for doing my final year project IT department other than doing android apps.