Solar Chimney - Power Generation

Project Abstract / Summary : OBJECTIVE : To design and assemble a pollution-less concept demonstrator model for extraction of solar energy trapped in a green house and to create awareness of the process among the younger generation.
HYPOTHESIS : It is possible to extract sun's radiant energy trapped in air in a green house by setting up convection current in air which can be created by maintaining a difference in temperature between air inside the green house and the ambient air.
METHOD: the method involves extraction of trapped energy by using a hot air turbine coupled to a generator.
RESEARCH WORK: Research work shows that the concept conceived in the seventies has not been widely used to due higher cost involved. Pioneering effort was made in Spain and a power plant of 40 KW was build to prove the technical viability and effectiveness. Even though the results were positive not much effort has been put in to spread the concept and technology and make it commercially viable.
EXPERIMENT: The experimental set up consists of a small scale model with the following components: A circular chamber with glass/plastic roof and black surfaced floor . A chimney of circular shape at the centre of glass roof top for air to flow upwards. An air turbine mounted between the base of the chimney and the roof of the chamber. An electrical generator for generating electrical power.An auxiliary solar panel power supply to start or boost the power output of the turbine.
EXPLANATION OF WORKING: The radiant energy in the sun rays falling on the roof top heats up the air inside the green house chamber. The warmed up air moves upward through the chimney. Fresh cold air enters through the openings in the side walls of the chamber. This sets up a continuous convection in the system. The kinetic energy contained in the moving air in the chimney is converted into mechanical energy at the turbine shaft. The generator coupled to the turbine shaft produces electricity. The auxiliary power supply is for starting the turbine and boosting the power when the intensity of sun rays is low.

Why did you choose to work on this project topic : We have selected this project to create awareness among young engineers on the technologies involved in it. So that they go crazy on it. We understand from our research work that, very few people are working on the concepts involved in our model, and we believe that this is the technology of the future to solve the problem of emissions caused by fossil fuels as well as radiations hazards of nuclear fuels. It is time to look at the merciful sun and make hay while the sun shines. An alternative to the solar panel is very much desirable as the solar panels produce low volumes of power at low voltage. Vast tracts of deserts around the world can be used to produce power with this concept.

Project Category : Mechanical / Automobile / Aeronautical
------------------------------------------------------
Institute/College Name: Sambhram Institute of Technology
City: Bangalore
State: Karnataka
Participating Team From: Final Year

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Project Abstract / Summary : Cell phone distraction causes 2600 deaths and 3, 30,000 injuries in USA. Every year according to a journal’s publisher, the human factors and ergonomics society.Drivers...
Hi All, I am a civil engineering student. Am searching for land units converter. Pls suggest me some good resources for land unit conversions.
People are going crazy after the voice calling feature in whatsapp and I fail to understand what's the buzz about? Isn't that technology old already? Skype's been offering video calls...
Project Abstract / Summary : Our project is based on geopolymer concret. In our project we totally replace cement by fly ash . Also we use sodium hydroxide and sodium...
While a student I used to drink 12 to 15 cuppa/day. My sisters used to say that if any one utters any word beginning with ca, I would ask for...