Solar Cells Made From Trees Can Be Recycled - In Just A Few Minutes

It's no wonder that as we continue to eat up all the fossil fuels, the time has come that we figure out the most efficient ways to tap the solar energy. Scientists at the Georgia Tech Institute Of Technology & Purdue University have teamed to develop recyclable solar cells from cellulose nanocrystal (CNC) substrates. The biggest advantages of such solar cells is that once they reach the end of life, they can be recycled in water in just a few minutes. The team reports that their solar cells offers 2.7% conversion efficiency - something that was never achieved before for cells on substrates derived from natural sources.

solar-cells-trees

The CNC substrates are transparent allowing the light rays to pass through them where a thin layer of organic semiconductor absorbs them. The team is now aiming to improve the conversion efficiency to 10% - which is currently possible with solar cells fabricated on glass or petroleum-based substrates. The issue, however, with the glass substrates is that if the solar cell breaks - the waste material is difficult to dispose off. The cellulose nonmaterial based substrates, on the other hand, can be recycled by sinking them in water for a few minutes.

slide

The team has already applied for patent and the application is currently being reviewed by the USPTO.

Further Details: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Innovations are getting smaller and more efficient But once the renewability criterion is added to any innovation That is really a HUGE LEAP FOR PERFECTNESS I would say

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

There exist seperate Kernel Thread for corresponding User Thread. I mean Z:Z ratio is maintained ? (or Z:Y ratio maintained as per OS?) Or User Thread gets transformed into Kernel...
So what is to be done with the gear shift of those automatic cars, and what happens in each position ? And as for hybrid cars, how to shift from...
I want to reset the contactor by using the done bit of Timer. Suppose I have DOL (Direct online connection) for MOTOR. when i press Start Push-button than my Motor...
I am interesting to know about the mechanics mechanisms that use the conveyors in products lines automations systems.​I am interesting to know more about "span" roller (I am not sure...
The GNOME Project has finally released GNOME 3.8 today. GNOME 3.8 is the result of 6 months of hard-work 35936 contributions by around 1K people. This latest version of GNOME...