Solar Cell App By Klein Buendel Inc. Tells You When You Need Sun Protection

Skin cancer has been affecting thousands of people every year and more than 90% of cases are caused by exposure to ultraviolet radiation from the sun. To keep your sun baths under check, a new smartphone app called Solar Cell has been developed by Klein Buendel Inc. (who specialize in public health interventions) under a contract with National Cancer Institute. In order to reduce the risk of skin caner, the Solar Cell app can be used to get real-time information about when you need to get out of the Sun exposure. The app takes personal and behavioral data as input and combines it with readily available geo-spatial data such as time, location and UV Index forecast, to inform you of the action you need to take for sun protection. The app is being develop for both Android and iPhone platforms and will be up on the app stores soon.

The app empowers the users with actionable data about when they need to apply sunscreen and when they need to get into a shade. The Solar Cell mobile app would definitely promote sun protection practices and researchers have concluded that increased use of shade can substantially reduce exposure to solar UV radiation (UV-R).

solar-cell-app-by-klein-protection-skin-su
Image Credit: Wikimedia​

We wait for the app to be officially introduced to Google Play Store and iTunes Store to be able to test it in real-life conditions. The developers have shared that the app will be a paid one. What are your thoughts on the idea behind a Solar Cell app? Share with us in comments below.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-# | #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Rajni Jain
    Rajni Jain
    I am just wondering if a software app can measure the UV (NOT possible without hardware). All I could understand after reading the article; the app would take user's data as input, will get the data from weather website about what time of the day how much rays would be there.

How a software can check that how much sunscreen I have applied; am I sitting in sun or not.. 😀
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Yes. I am afraid not many details have been revealed yet. But let's update this article as soon as they officially release the app on android platform.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

(Sent by friend Purushottama) Quote: In an era of email, text messages, Facebook and Twitter, we’re all required to do several things at once. But this constant multitasking is taking...
This does not need any explanation: https://www.instructables.com/id/3D-Buildings-on-grid-paper/
Project Abstract / Summary : This project will help farmers of Uganda to easily detect the content of moisture in their food produce It will be a simple machine connected...
DIY engineers - take a serious note: The Raspberry folks have announced much awaited Raspberry Pi 2 Model B for just $35 (price same as the model B+). This announcement...
GIT is an epic distributed version control tool out there, no shit (Linus developed it!) But there are too many commands and memorizing all of 'em is pretty tough. So...