Softwares For Mechanical Engineers: Which one should I learn?

can ne1 tell me which software is worthy to learn as i m a mechanical engg.......i hv already learn solidworks ......but as now a days learning solid works is like sheep instinct...i want something extra which will give me an edge.......my colleagues nd internet gave me options like Catia....proe...inventor.....whats best among these ( considering that i hv already done solidworks)......

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Solidworks is the best and I think CATIA is also popular among mechanical engineers.
  • rebellionofrebel
    rebellionofrebel
    THe softwares that ypu have mentioned are more on modelling side. Try to learn softwares like Ansys, Abaqus, Caesar which are all analysis softwares. Also try Adams for Dynamic analysis.
  • Parth Johri
    Parth Johri
    i hv read some where that solidworks nd inventor will have boom in their future......hw much useful is inventor......
  • CE Designer
    CE Designer
    In my country autocad is more predominant in the industry than solid works. But my country is behind in matters like these. I have done solid works in my Design course so i know its a good program. PLC programming is good for Engineers too. G-code programming is also useful to know. Its the age of technology and PLC's and NC machines are taking root in many manufacturing facilities.
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    MatLab and Minitab too are good for Mechanical Engineers. ๐Ÿ˜€
    I have seen most of them use AutoCAD. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • SID_6000BHP
    SID_6000BHP
    HI! Alongwith Solidworks and Catia V5 if possible try ur hand on Unigraphics NX6 as well. This is because OEMS like Daimler have shifted there design tasks to UG and soon others will follow too. UG already has dominance in USA. After learning designing softwares go for the CAE's. UG is stronger than solidworks! You first decide which field you want to work with, design or CAE.
  • adren022
    adren022
    Depends mainly on your interest

if you like to do a lot of CADD modelling and want to be good at it learn Solidworks, Catia, Pro E.

If you like to learn simulations related to aerodynamics and CFD you'll need to learn StarCD or Ansys Fluent.

Or If you like only analysis and that's how your mind works and you don't care much about modeliing Ansys,Hper Mesh,Pattran, Nastran(you can do simultions also here)

If your interested in a software that helps in robotics and machining using computers Learn a CIM(computer integrated manufacturing) software like MTab.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    For graduates I think learn anyone software thoroughly. Either go for CATIA or PRO-E. You see theya re basically 3D modelling softwares and most of the calculations we have to do with our own hands.
    I have friends who are doing MS and are popularly using MATlab. They have opted for automotive.
  • rebellionofrebel
    rebellionofrebel
    frankly any software that boosts your engineering skills and helps in keeping you up to date with the engineering world is a boon!!!!! there is no single software that is going to have a boom in future or something !!!!! all softwares may look similar on the top side but if you dive deeper into them you will see that softwares have individually carved a name for them in different industries !!!! so based on the industry a person works , he must be aware of atelast the softwares widely used in that industry !!!!! For example, a person who designs pressure vessels as per ASME code has no usage for the softwares like ADAMS !!!
  • ShrinkDWorld
    ShrinkDWorld
    i think before going to learn or doing specialization in field , the point of interest & basic knowledge required for that should be consider because you have to work on that for whole life & due to interest we can boost our performance.
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    After speaking to my dad, (he's GM in AL), he gave a few inputs:
    1. AutoCAD
    2. Pro/E
    3. Unigraphics
    4. Ansys
    5. SolidWorks
    6. CATIA
    7. NX Nastran
    8. GD&T
    9. Solid Edge
    10. Primavera
    11. Multibody Simulation
    Hope this gives you an input. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • mechky
    mechky
    Solidworks, Catia, Pro/E, Ansys, Unigraphics NX are the most widely used softwares for mechanical modelling, simulation and analysis. However as far as industries are concerned Solidworks is the one that is probably least used.
    So you can go for catia, pro/e and ansys.
  • Parth Johri
    Parth Johri
    i hv done solidworks nd still improvising it....can i still needed to learn pro e or catia or i shud move ahead to analysis softwares.......
  • Parth Johri
    Parth Johri
    ShrinkDWorld
    i think before going to learn or doing specialization in field , the point of interest & basic knowledge required for that should be consider because you have to work on that for whole life & due to interest we can boost our performance.
    my basic interest in automobile industry but as i m in college......it depends on placement also.....which company i m placed in
  • mechky
    mechky
    Parth Johri
    i hv done solidworks nd still improvising it....can i still needed to learn pro e or catia or i shud move ahead to analysis softwares.......
    You can continue with your improvisation in solidworks, but you can now start with either catia or pro/e. Since your preference is automobile industry, as per my knowledge majority of them are using Catia. Unigraphics NX is also used in automobile industry but Catia is used more preferred. So you can go for Catia.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    pro-e is the best and the simplest.

also learn softwares like PLC and fluidsim,
  • rohith_shankar
    rohith_shankar
    Can anybody tell me which software s are used most commonly in automotive R&D for CAE ??
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    rohith_shankar
    Can anybody tell me which software s are used most commonly in automotive R&D for CAE ??
    Pro-E , ansys, etc.

During production and assembly , PLC is used.
  • jenasubhadev
    jenasubhadev
    u can also go for SAP .....D BEST ONE OF DIS TIME...
  • piyusheddie
    piyusheddie
    For a Mechanical Engg there are plenty of software to learn. But its depends on your requirement n wats ur need. Like for e.g. in Auto industry for part modeling n assy. Catia, Uni graphix, Ides, Pro E, Solid Works, Solid Edge are some of the best softwares one can learn. For analysis application Hypermesh, Ansys, Catia r gud to learn.

Auto Cad is also gud for u for the purpose of drafting.

Parth Johri
    can ne1 tell me which software is worthy to learn as i m a mechanical engg.......i hv already learn solidworks ......but as now a days learning solid works is like sheep instinct...i want something extra which will give me an edge.......my colleagues nd internet gave me options like Catia....proe...inventor.....whats best among these ( considering that i hv already done solidworks)......
  • TheBugInYou
    TheBugInYou
    Either u are interested or not...
    "It's you who is going to design...
    a software can only be used to draft or model your idea"
    If u want to simulate.. it's again you to assign the meshing parameters... else it will do by it's own... on which no company who gonna hire will relay..
    So i request you guyz to learn the design first.. else u will be ending your life as a 3D-modleing engineer after completing some pro/E or solidworks course...
  • piyusheddie
    piyusheddie
    totally agreed thanx.....๐Ÿ˜€

3D-modeling cant get u wat xcatly u want....
    for ur knowledge nowadays we have plenty of softwares which can b use for meshing n simulation......using dese softwares makes ur life easy n u can design even as complicated structure u want in a lot easier way.......Hypermesh, ansys r some xamples......guys watch out.....
  • TheBugInYou
    TheBugInYou
    What ever may be the complicated structure...
    How do u differentiate the meshing parameters amongst the structure components....
    For example.. take a simple water bottle(we believe thousands of physics concepts can be explained using this)... After generating the 3D model and assigning its material properties.... how do you compute the mesh density at the bottom face... bottom and top round surfaces and at the neck and the cap placing zone...

As a regular softwares so called ansys, nastran or hypermesh... most of our brothers hit COMPUTE so that it selects the mesh density and spacing by it's own.... it means ... we are relayed..

As an engineer, it's always good for him to know what a software dose before using the same. When i used to study engg.. the same question ticked in our minds and taken a very simple case of analyzing a plate which has to carry a live load of 100Kgs on a 1000X1000mm... at any location on its face....

Without using any analysis software try to obtain the optimum thickness of the plate.... U will land in an ocean... I still remember our feats with the graph papers and matrices to find the solution..

Software.....
    They are to make our routine easier.... they are never a replacement... once we relay on them UN-knowingly.. it's a disaster.... plz... For all students... i request you learn How it Works and then work on it....
  • piyusheddie
    piyusheddie
    yes u r right......
  • Praveenan nt
    Praveenan nt
    According to me Catia is dominant over others, its more suitable for aero domain along with automotive and automobile also now a days more opening on this tool only, but doing course depends on u r interest, if u interest in CAE or CAD field first decide...CAD Means Catia, UG good, CAE means ABAQUS, hypermesh, one thing selecting CAE field is more challenging and u may have bright future...but think all the best.......
  • jigartank
    jigartank
    CATIA is preferred for the automobile industries as it has the best spline among all the drafting softwares.
    It uses the higher order differential equation to suit the spline between the control points which improves the results.So it gives you better results when you are going for the analysis for aerodynamic shaping.
  • rohithvijay
    rohithvijay
    thank you for all your suggestions
  • Vikrantkhaliyav
    Vikrantkhaliyav
    MS Office
    Autocad
    creo
    catia
    solidworks
    ansys
  • DEEPIKA SANKHE ARORA
    DEEPIKA SANKHE ARORA
    HI ALL,
    I have my hands on PRO E, CREO. BUT I DONT THINK ITS SUFFICIENT TO MOVE AHEAD AS A MECHANICAL DESIGN ENGINEER. CAN SOMEBODY SUGGEST ME THE CURRENTLY TRENDING DESIGN SOFTWARES WHICH WOULD ENHANCE MY CAREER
  • Santhosh91234
    Santhosh91234
    if u are money minded person & looking for good salary then learn ANSYS, HYPER MESH related to Analysis or Stack-up part of the Component.
    But before learning those u need to know about FEA, DFM etc related to that.
  • Sharfudeen Mohamed Ibrahim
    Sharfudeen Mohamed Ibrahim
    I'm certified in CREO and ANSYS. And IMO, i would recommend PRO-E/CREO, CATIA, SOLIDWORKS along with ANSYS.
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    Most famous (as per my limited experience) tools for CAE:

Meshing: Hypermesh, ANSA
    Solvers: ANSYS CFX, ABAQUS, STAR CCM+, COMSOL
    PostProcessors: Ensight, ANSYS CFD-POST (I personally use Paraview)

Some softwares (like COMSOL) are a complete package. I use OpenFOAM for CFD. It is an open-source set of libraries primarily used for computational fluid dynamics (although I have also seen libraries relating to structural, financial and astrophysics analysis). It has a built in mesher as well. Very raw and hence an excellent tool if you are interested in research or are hungry to know the intricate details of the domain.

In the end: it is a person's domain knowledge that counts. Softwares come and go, but if one has the requisite knowledge, one can learn any software easily. On the contrary, if someone knows a host of softwares, but lacks the background knowledge, that person is reduced to one who knows where to "click" on the screen. Best of luck.
  • aps025
    aps025
    NX and hypermesh
  • Ashish Bhaskar
    Ashish Bhaskar
    I want to take part in crazy engineer contest can any one tell me the project must be working or non working
  • Narenther M S
    Narenther M S
    can anyone tell me which software is good for manufacturing?
  • Narenther M S
    Narenther M S
    can anyone tell me which software is good for manufacturing?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

What is future of SEO in india? is it good to choose as career
Does anyone have piano notes for the song Main Gaoon Tum so Jao by Mohd. Rafi (from the movie Brahmachari)?
Hello CEans,โ€‹ โ€‹I'm ASHISH BARDHAN. I'm an undergraduate student of Netaji Subhas Institute of Technology ( N.S.I.T ), opted B.E./B.Tech. in Information Technology (IT). I'm currently in my Pre-Final 3rd...
With our growing strength, it makes perfect sense to start conducting CE City Meets again. The main problem we've faced so far is that there was no fixed agenda for...
The Electrofest is a technical fest organized by Guntur Engineering College. Recognizing the need for highly trained engineers, GEC conducts programs to benefit engineering education from Diploma level to Undergraduate...