Software Testing question

i have one question in my mind regarding manual testing
suppose i have one form which consist of say 14-15 fields and 11 to 12 amongst these fields are mandatory fields so how to test this form
i am doing this in following way:
1) first i am checking the form URL
2) second checking with all valid data means with filling in all valid details
3) with keeping all fields blank and clicking on submit button
4) now the interesting part begin,
how will i test mandatory field?
i am doing this like suppose title is mandatory field then by typing title with valid information and clicking on submit button and expecting result as should display error message
then how to test entire form means by combination of mandatory field or checking it separately.
like next time i am checking the title and address field valid data and clicking on submit
after that i am filling title with valid data keeping address field blank and entering telephone number along with title and clicking on submit
so my question is as i said earlier my form consist of 14 to 15 fields with 12- 13 as mandatory field then how will i test it. it is so time consuming and i think i am doing in wrong way? is my way is correct?
will i do separately or testing my form by keeping some of the fields filled and some kept blank? many time i get confused on this.😔😔
please explain me with my example

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# - You don't have to test the combinations of the mandatory fields. You should ideally divide you test cases as 'visual' and 'functional'. I'd begin by asking following questions while creating test cases:-

1. Is the end user visually notified about the mandatory fields?
    2. Is the tab sequence correct?
    3. Does 'hitting' enter button while filling up the form actually submits the form?
    4. Are the errors correct? etc.
    When it comes to functional ones -
    1. Can I submit the form without filling in any of the mandatory fields?
    2. Can I submit the form while leaving a mandatory field blank? (fill up all the mandatory fields and then empty each field one by one, while clicking submit to check this)
    3. Does the form take me to correct landing page after filling submit button? etc.
    Does it help?
  • simplycoder
    simplycoder
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# - You don't have to test the combinations of the mandatory fields. You should ideally divide you test cases as 'visual' and 'functional'. I'd begin by asking following questions while creating test cases:-

1. Is the end user visually notified about the mandatory fields?
    2. Is the tab sequence correct?
    3. Does 'hitting' enter button while filling up the form actually submits the form?
    4. Are the errors correct? etc.
    When it comes to functional ones -
    1. Can I submit the form without filling in any of the mandatory fields?
    2. Can I submit the form while leaving a mandatory field blank? (fill up all the mandatory fields and then empty each field one by one, while clicking submit to check this)
    3. Does the form take me to correct landing page after filling submit button? etc.
    Does it help?
    I would like to add some more things into this and also provide a developer's 'perspective'
    If I am supposed to test an application, firstly I would think of the functionality of the feature.
    For example, lets assume you are testing a simple 'Register User' screen, which has following fields :

1) First Name.
    2)Last Name.
    3)Email Id.
    4)Date of birth.
    5)Contact Number.
    6)A submit button which registers a user.
    7)A clear button which clears the form.

There should be a set of documented business rules associated with all the controls which you can see.
    These rules should basically include the length specification, regular expression specification(Only letters, Only numbers...), mandatory, non mandatory etc.

Now I would first check the flow which has been provided.
    Lets assume, that when the user registers, he is redirected to the login page.

To test the feature, I would then make a note of what is supposed to be tested.
    A sample list might be :
    1)Title of the screen.
    2)Heading.
    3)If all controls are placed in correct position.
    4) UI should resemble the HTML markup.

Then I would create data on two aspects:
    1)Positive flow : All of them would allow to register a user.
    2)Negative flow : All of them would not allow to register a user.

An example of negative flow is to create a data for which a validation message should be thrown and should not register a user.
    Simple example, try entering numbers where only letters is allowed.

Few more tips:
    Check for date format, developers make mistakes in it almost 70 of 100 times.
    Try entering very long string which is beyond max length, the page should break.
    Try testing in different browsers, mostly there would be issues with the javascript part if any.

Some advance tips:
    Try putting javascript tags in text boxes.
    Try to time the application load time.

Last tip :
    If you break the application, feel good about yourself, a pat on you back, you have made the application a bit more robust than what it was.
    😀
    Hope this helps.

-simplycoder
  • Manasee Mahajan
    Manasee Mahajan
    Try breaking up your tests according to the test levels and types of testing. It is not mandatory to test for combinations of mandatory fields. Test smart instead of exhaustive! "The goal of test design is to test maximum possible conditions using minimum possible test cases"

Some examples of what you can test -

1. Component Testing - ensure each component on the UI page is tested
    • every blank mandatory field displays correct error message
    • every field accepts input only in expected format
    2. System Testing - ensure that the "workflow" is tested
    • user leaves multiple fields blank
    • user enters incorrect data into fields
    • user does not enter non-mandatory fields
    3. UI testing - ensure the look and usability is as expected
    • is the error message clear and visible?
    • are the mandatory fields indicated clearly
    • check on tabs and other devices
    Manasee

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Move over Xiaomi, Micromax has delivered a cracker of a smartphone by collaborating with Cyanogen. The exclusive deal which proved to be a bitter pill for OnePlus One customers has...
What are the meanings of 1A1P-T100 and 1P2C-T150 etc in instrument cable tray and wiring layout? Please refer to some documents too please.
Quote: Just like doctors, engineers are expected to utilize their skills and knowledge in a benevolent fashion. Where the Hippocratic Oath outlines the ethical standards for physicians (simplified as "do...
After successfully launching BlackBerry Passport and basking in the glory of its remarkable success on Amazon.com, this time BlackBerry has released the much awaited smartphone called BlackBerry Classic at $449....
I want to manufacture composite materials with different stacking sequence. Which composite equipment would be required for this purpose? Many Thanks!