Software testing for ece student

I am ece student(2014 batch). I am intrested in software testing but i have heard that ece student have lesser oppourtunity than cs/it student (about 80%) companies often offer more salary to cs/it than ece student . is this ture ?Could i make career in software testing ? What are the growth opportunity for a ece student as a software engineer? I am at very critical stage of my carrer so your valuable advice could make my carrer . Please help me.

Replies

• Saurabh Mishra
    Saurabh Mishra
    #Kaustubh Katdare sir & other member please help me.waiting for your advice.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Welcome to CE, #-Link-Snipped-# . You aren't at a very 'critical' stage of your career - and don't worry too much about it. Just be open to opportunities and you'll do great in your career.

E&TC engineers have been working into software testing - and I personally know a lot of engineers who aren't from IT/CS background, yet doing a fantastic job as a QA engineer. Our own CEan #-Link-Snipped-# is a role model.

While it's true that at the starting state a lot of IT companies tend to offer lesser salaries to QA engineers; but the difference is very small. Ultimately how much money you make depends on a large number of more important factors than your work domain. It's also true that a large number of QA engineers make a lot more than developers.

There are only very generic answers available to the questions you've asked. Your career and growth depends on your skills, your interpersonal skills, ability to learn and hard-work.

My advice is to find out as much as you can about software testing, the kind of work QA engineers do and find out whether it looks interesting to you. Compare it with that of the job developers do and then make your decision. We're always here to help you, if you need help. Be active on CrazyEngineers and stay up to date with knowledge.
  • Saurabh Mishra
    Saurabh Mishra
    thanks for your advice #-Link-Snipped-# sir . now i have no doubts regarding this problem . that's depend upon me & my skills.
  • Saurabh Mishra
    Saurabh Mishra
    #-Link-Snipped-# sir what type of working domain available for software testing ?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    mighty mishra
    #-Link-Snipped-# sir what type of working domain available for software testing ?
    Not sure what you are asking about. Software testing is considered as a domain in itself. There are to major subdomains under it - manual and automation testing and there are several types of testing you can develop your expertise in, for example - functional testing, app testing, security testing, database testing, network testing, UI testing and so on. You'll learn about it on the job.
  • Pranav Khullar
    Pranav Khullar
    sir, i also have the same problem i am also interested in CSEbut got ECE in counselling,so i want to know r there any certified courses for programming that will help me in getting into the company recruiting CSE students.
  • simplycoder
    simplycoder
    pvk1234
    sir, i also have the same problem i am also interested in CSEbut got ECE in counselling,so i want to know r there any certified courses for programming that will help me in getting into the company recruiting CSE students.
    I was in similar situation, I graduated in Electronics and Telecomm.
    I realized in 1st year, that I was interested in programing and computer science.

One good thing is, it does not matter when it comes to knowledge.
    If you are passionate enough, grab few books.. introduction to cs and other stuff, read online read white papers... stay updated,
    participate in coding competitions, contribute to open source,
    do hobby projects.
    Try for internship,trust me coding in industry is a different experience altogether.

Now when it comes to job opportunities, certification is added plus.
    However its just a certificate and doesn't prove much about capability.
    Speak with your placement officer, he would be in a position to help you.

There are plenty of certifications available, OCJP, MCTS... and stuff like those.

While recruiting, many of the recruiters don't try to test students in core computer science concepts, they typically would train and groom freshers.
    My personal opinion would be that they select candidates based on general etiquette and humbleness with basic knowledge.
    I have friends recruited in good companies despite of them not answering single question, they were honest enough to say that they didn't know the answer.(Now this doesn't mean every one would get jobs like this, few of them mean business, if you don't know, they would show you the door).
    The point I am trying to make here is, be yourself.
  • Pranav Khullar
    Pranav Khullar
    thnx a lot, your advice is really appreciated.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

China's Jiuquan Satellite Launch Centre located in the Gobi desert about 1,600 km from Beijing, successfully launched the remote sensing satellite named Yaogan XX along with a Long March 4C...
What is a system file?? Is it possible to delete a system file? And how can change any file to system file?
The voltage gain of an amplifier decreases 20 dB decade above 100kHz,If the mid band frequency gain is 80 dB.What is the value of the voltage gain at 2MHz.
Please give suggestions for a mini project which covers both Web Technology and DBMS.
frndz..., can anyone please give me the trusted website address where i could buy some ICs?👎