Software testing career for an individual interested in coding..

I am about to finish my B.Tech (Computers) and have a job offer in my hand. The company didn't mention the profile at the time of campus drive. After selection , I came to know that the job is in testing services. I am very much inclined towards coding and have good coding abilities. The college don't allow placed students to apply for other jobs. So , I want to know whether this testing job will be a good career for a me? Is it possible for me to apply for software development jobs in other companies after 1/2 years with testing experience.
**The testing job has a salary of Rs.8,00,000 per annum

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    ROHIT.SHARMA
    So , I want to know whether this testing job will be a good career for a me?
    If you are strongly interested in coding; the QA profile won't suit you. QA would comprise of manual testing; which does not need coding skills. Automation, another important aspect of QA requires coding knowledge; but it's far away from full fledged coding.

In a nutshell: if you are looking for a developer profile, you should not opt for career in testing. It'd be very difficult to switch from testing profile to coding profile after 6 months of experience. You will be treated as a fresher.
  • ROHIT.SHARMA
    ROHIT.SHARMA
    Kaustubh Katdare
    If you are strongly interested in coding; the QA profile won't suit you. QA would comprise of manual testing; which does not need coding skills. Automation, another important aspect of QA requires coding knowledge; but it's far away from full fledged coding.

In a nutshell: if you are looking for a developer profile, you should not opt for career in testing. It'd be very difficult to switch from testing profile to coding profile after 6 months of experience. You will be treated as a fresher.

The exact job description:

a) Participate in projects non functional requirement (Automation/performance) analysis

b) Create Test ware - estimates, scenarios, cases, data

c) Execute Test and collate evidence for Non Functional testing

d) Defect reporting and tracking
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I don't think they are focusing on automation much. In general, the QA job won't require you to write code. You will be writing scripts to automate tests. If you are okay with that, you may opt for the job. The package looks good for a fresh candidate.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

A team of researchers at the Florida Atlantic University led by Dr. Erik Engeberg, Assistant Professor in the Department of Ocean and Mechanical Engineering has been successful in developing a...
HOW MUSH TIME MUST SPENT IN GATE STU-DING EVERY DAY FOR MECHANICAL I WANT IMPORTANT TOPICS LIST
So, there are talks all across the nation (India) about 'bans' on various things, be it food items or what you wear and what you do with your religion. While...
Hi all I am a fresher 2014 passed out BE graduate in the stream of information science , post my graduation i have done my course in software testing Looking...
HI, I AM A MECHANICAL ENGINEER ASPIRING FOR ENTRANCE EXAMS. I AM TARGETING ESE EXAM. BUT I AM LITTLE BIT CONFUSED ON HOW TO PREPARE FOR THAT. AS MY TECHNICAL...