Software developer / testing Engineer job & background in Commerce (B.Com)

Hie, i have completed my B.com from annamalai university(distance education). i wanna choose career in IT field. although i have made my mind to become Software developer or tester. but have some queries which i can ask here for help.

1) Can a commerce student enter as a tester or developer?
2) what will be my basic pay as a fresher?
3) will i have a bright future with good payscale after 2yrs of exp?
4) can i compete with all Btech, BE, BCA students in this field?
5)will multinational companies accept the fact i am from commerce background and appoint me?

Seed infotech has 4mnths course of software testing with HP certification, they said i can go for testing but to be developer my commerce background is not enough. i dont believe them. i need expert answers. pls suggest.

Hope for a genuine answer to make my career.

Replies

• Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    To be a developer, you must have strong Maths and logical skills nothing else

Rest of the Process just include learning some new language to communicate with computer 😀
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Welcome to CE, @#-Link-Snipped-#. We are happy to have you with us.

1. Yes, a commerce student can get into developer/tester role; provided you have the skillset and qualifications required by the recruiting company. Since you're from the commerce background, your entry might be difficult. I'd recommend building your profile with a smaller company that'd hire you for your skills and not qualifications. Build some work experience (minimum 2 years) and then look for newer opportunities.

2. Basic pay depends on the recruiting company. There are not set standards.

3. You'll have a bright future and a great salary - provided you tap the right opportunities at the right time. As I said, you may start your career with a smaller company to 'get entry' in the industry and then your progress will depend on how fast you can learn, implement and maintain great relationships with your bosses.

4. Yes, you can compete with anyone. Engineering degree helps only in getting 'shortlisted'. Everything else is in your brain. I'd not recommend beginning your career with a lower self-esteem.

5. MNCs mean business and after you've accumulated some great work experience and have kick-ass skills in your domain; they'll give you a red-carpet treatment. There are several guys from the arts/commerce background who've done great in Software / IT field.

...then there are engineers who've become singers.
    ...then there are doctors who can fix their bikes better than mechanical engineers.

You got the point, I hope.

All of the above applies to the 'developer' role as well.

Personal Note: You should really review your decision of choosing a field which is not in sync with your education. Being absolutely sure about what you want and 'why' you want helps in the whole process of decision making process.
  • Sujith Nair
    Sujith Nair
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Welcome to CE, @#-Link-Snipped-#. We are happy to have you with us.

1. Yes, a commerce student can get into developer/tester role; provided you have the skillset and qualifications required by the recruiting company. Since you're from the commerce background, your entry might be difficult. I'd recommend building your profile with a smaller company that'd hire you for your skills and not qualifications. Build some work experience (minimum 2 years) and then look for newer opportunities.

2. Basic pay depends on the recruiting company. There are not set standards.

3. You'll have a bright future and a great salary - provided you tap the right opportunities at the right time. As I said, you may start your career with a smaller company to 'get entry' in the industry and then your progress will depend on how fast you can learn, implement and maintain great relationships with your bosses.

4. Yes, you can compete with anyone. Engineering degree helps only in getting 'shortlisted'. Everything else is in your brain. I'd not recommend beginning your career with a lower self-esteem.

5. MNCs mean business and after you've accumulated some great work experience and have kick-ass skills in your domain; they'll give you a red-carpet treatment. There are several guys from the arts/commerce background who've done great in Software / IT field.

...then there are engineers who've become singers.
    ...then there are doctors who can fix their bikes better than mechanical engineers.

You got the point, I hope.

All of the above applies to the 'developer' role as well.

Personal Note: You should really review your decision of choosing a field which is not in sync with your education. Being absolutely sure about what you want and 'why' you want helps in the whole process of decision making process.
    oh thank you sir for your fast reply... but to be a developer how much duration is required? as seed infotech has told me its for other degree students with science i may not be a good option? so i am confused?

1) developer or tester ? who gets better promotion and salary?
    2) whats the stress level in both?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    A day, a week, a month, 6 months, a year or lifetime. It all depends on YOU, your learning abilities, IQ, overall interest in programming (or testing) and to some extent, on your teachers. I hope you realise that there cannot be fixed answers to your question.

1. Every developer and every tester gets promoted based on their contribution to the organisation and other factors.

2. Stress is a person's' response to any situation. The job could be very demanding for both testing engineers and developers. Again, there's no set answer to this.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    What I have seen that developer are in more stress but this enjoyed them. (Here not talking about work load, it's depends on organization).

You are coming from commerce background, so obvious question will be, why do you want to become a software developer/tester, Here you have to show you work, certification, open source contribution or freelancing job.

Am I sensing here, you got impression that people get easily paid in IT industry?
  • Sujith Nair
    Sujith Nair
    Anoop Kumar
    What I have seen that developer are in more stress but this enjoyed them. (Here not talking about work load, it's depends on organization).

You are coming from commerce background, so obvious question will be, why do you want to become a software developer/tester, Here you have to show you work, certification, open source contribution or freelancing job.

Am I sensing here, you got impression that people get easily paid in IT industry?
    no its not that i think people easily get paid in IT. but i am curious to know that after studying software testing will i get job for the fact that i am from commerce background? my friends use to say i will have a hard time to get job on basis of Bcom. but i really have a deep interest to enter IT. i love to try coding stufs.
  • Sujith Nair
    Sujith Nair
    any reply?
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Yes you will be considered as inferior than others as they have software background in education.
    You need to prove first that you have all technical competency.
  • Sujith Nair
    Sujith Nair
    that will be a big problem for me
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    The appropriate questions you should be asking are:
    - Can you program? Have you contributed to any open-source project or participated in any programming contest with decent performance? Do you read any programming journals or blogs or forum? If yes, you can be a programmer.

- Do you understand what a software application is? Are you aware of the common loop-holes in a particular type of system? Do you read any QA journals or blogs or forum? If yes, you can be a tester.
  • Suneet Chaudhary
    Suneet Chaudhary
    Trust me! You have a great advantage in the Emerging field of ERP/Accounting software Implementation/Consulting/Development (SAP/PeopleSoft/JD Edwards/Tally).
    For the above, you got to MAP objects of IT to the system you have studied in Commerce Discipline.
    Because IT ultimately serves other disciplines and Commerce is a major one.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    At TATA Consultancy Services (TCS), one of India's biggest IT companies, they regularly hire B.Com graduates to work in the SAP and ABAP projects. It so happens that SAP projects need someone from the finance background to work in the SAP Finance & Controlling Modules.
    In one of the projects I was working, they hired a fresh B-Com graduate and taught her ABAP programming. She is doing really well today.

There are opportunities across many verticals in the IT industry for commerce students. You just need to find the right vacancy & position. If you have free time after graduation, learning computer skills, programming or testing can be a big plus while applying to an IT company.

To answer your question - Yes, commerce graduates can become software engineers.
  • BIJOY DEB
    BIJOY DEB
    Hi Sujith,

My Suggestion will be don't go for a Programmer or Developer.. you can't compete in that crowd because you don't have a proper educational background.. I will suggest you to go Financial Software course like ADP or Netsuite and one's you got a job in that domain then slowly move to the technical part of this software..

This will put you in the right track..

You can choose HR / Recruitment domain and then try to learn Cloud HCM (Taleo, Workday, SAP).

Cloud is booming so grab the opportunity..

Still if you want to become a developer..then choose for Ruby on Rail Developement, Python Development, Pega Developer, Scala Developer..

This are few development lines where crowd is less and in India and Abroad resources are less in these skills.

I am telling you these from my personal experience.BECAUSE I AM A GLOBAL HR from an MNC.

Hope this will help you.
  • Prakash Narayan Singh
    Prakash Narayan Singh
    Hi Sujeth even Iam a commerce graduate and want to make my carrier in technical field as I firmly believe this is a technical age and their is a cretivity in this field
  • Prakash Narayan Singh
    Prakash Narayan Singh
    Hi Sujeth even Iam a commerce graduate and want to make my carrier in technical field as I firmly believe this is a technical age and engineering field is about innovation new ideas and the most important thing creativity provides endless opportunities.
  • Prakash Narayan Singh
    Prakash Narayan Singh
    I also want to make my carrier in technical field but dont know what are the course i can opt for it , is there any opportunity available for B.Com graduates

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

how exactly do we calculate plinth area,floor area, carpet area& built up area of a building?
The Food & Drug Administration (FDA) of USA has allowed PillCam - the tiny pill with camera that will swim through your body and capture photographs of the stuff it...
Bajaj Pulsar Super Sport 400SS has been unveiled at the Auto Expo In Noida. The bike looks stunning and there are a lot of interesting things about the bike, it...
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill ​ We cover ourselves under various insurance policies such as life insurance, health insurance etc....
HTC has been in quieter zone for considerable time now. But if the recent rumors are to be believed, the company might soon launch another flagship phone. Today, a Russian...