Smart or not so Smart

In the age of smartphones there are high chances you might hold on to your smart phone for a year or two. So going for a device which can match up with the high speed pace of the cellphone births might be a good idea. There are a few things you need to know before buying a smartphone and a few tinghs you need to look into.

What do I want?

Don’t go for what they offer you instead go for what you want. May be a 5inch hd screen to watch movies and videos Or a 4.7inch screen so that it could fit easily in your jeans. May be a quad core processor for easy use of day to day apps and utilities or may be an octa core processor for hd games.

A 13 megapixel camera for HD pictures to post on national Geographic blog or an 8 megapixel hd cam that make me look good.

Decide what you want not what someone sells you, you are the one to end up with it not your friend or ramnik bhai standing on the other side of the counter.

Cheap will weep

Buying a cheap smartphone will not only end up in a service center 'if lucky' or in your drawer with some dusty stuff. Going for not so likely brands or cheap mobiles an absolute waste of money, instead buying the best you can afford is much better.

Yes buy the best that suits your needs and not those overrated once, those days are long gone when people regarded Cell Phones as a Status Symbol.

What do I buy then?

Make a note of things you did not like when using your last smartphone and times you frowned using it. Those are the pointers that help you buy the next right one.

I always went around asking for a charger because the Blackberry bold had a battery not bold enough as compared to the phone. Even the Lumia did not do well in terms of user friendly look and feel, soon I felt that the tiles in my bathroom started moving. The Sony was a great friend, but it hung out more than me and my pals.

Hence try to make a note of what you want and what you do not.

Here’s a tip!

Start with the right design, sleek sharp edges and a flat back or a curved smooth edges and rounded back easy to hold. That’s looks good when it’s out of your pocket.

then what’s my OS and why ?

Android is the largest used OS in the world just because of its advantage of not being tied to a single device manufacturer and its abundant app store with amazing apps. So look for an OS which offers you customization internally like themes, wallpapers lock screens icons etc.

Now Screen size, whatever fits your pockets or something you can carry around without the need to adjust. An added advantage is to look for a Scratch resistant glass as Gorilla or Asahi dragontrail.

Resolution can be 960 x 540 pixels which would give you a good usable nice colors and display, in case you need HD go for 720×1280 or 1920 x 1080 pixels depending on your overall budget.

then comes Processor

The heart of any phone is its CPU/processor it does all the mumbo jumbo stuff inside your smartphone to make your phone run, so the bigger the better.

You can go for a processor greater than 1.2GHZ which I believe most of the phones in our market delivers. A quad core will do most of the job smoothly on your cell but in case you play Angry Birds (all of them),FIFA 15: Ultimate Team, Asphalt 8: Airborne, Dead Trigger 2 or my favorite Assassin’s Creed Pirates I mean HD games which requires more memory and processor usage go for Octa Core. The 8 core processor will keep the phone running smooth inspite of your high-end games.

Now comes the main part ...low battery.

I’m sure you feel restless and run around for a charger to get your cellphone back to life. We go virtually inactive when our phone gives up on us. It’s because Instagram, flicker, WhatsApp, hike, Fb messenger, SBI online, Standard chartered breeze etc and so on keeps us active and alive virtually.

Starting form shopping to gossip dropping with friends, responding to works email to booking a movie or ordering a pizza everything in done on our 5inch screen.

But that neeeeeds the Li-ion battery inside our smartphone.

Most of the smartphone companies provide phones with battery more than 2300 mAh, I have seen moto providing 2390 mAh even Xolo 2350 mAh. So go for the best battery you get in your budget.I would say look for a phone with battery more than 2300mAh because this is the arc reactor for your Iron man suite.

So I’m sure you have now got the glimpse of what to look when buying a smart phone and not incline on the fancy commercials.

So Smart shopping !

Replies

• Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    I wonder how many apps and games are optimized to make use of all 8 cores ? Let alone 8 cores, how many of them even use 4 cores ?
    BTW having high clock speed doesn't mean you can run all games! GPU does matter. But since CPU and GPU are integrated in ARM SoCs, you don't really have the choice.
    What I want to say is, having Octa core ARM CPU running with big.LITTLE technology but the Mali GPU is of first gen (like Mali 450 or T624), you're not going to get better graphics performance in games even though clock speed of your processor is sky high.
  • Sam Denis Wilson
    Sam Denis Wilson
    I agree it all depends on your Graphic Processing Unit, the better branch prediction, better pipelining etc do make a lot of difference.
    But how many smart phone users or buyers ignore GPU ? or may don’t bother ? A LOT
    Also how many games require that and cannot suffice on the regular Mali ARM Cortex processors?

The best way for a grilled down techie who is only focusing on GPU should go for Adreno 330( Its one of the world’s fastest GPU for a mobile phone, Its speed can push to 3.6 gig pixels per seconds)
    or maybe go for SGX544mp3, SGX554mp4, Adreno 320 etc
    Or Just rely on benchmarks.

For the rest I believe a little less technical research is good enough.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello, I am currently writing a report about future careers I would be interested in. For my report I chose to do Computer Engineering and I am require to find...
Mitashi has introduced a new 50 inch smart TV to the Indian market. This new product from the Mumbai-based company will be the second smart TV after its 40-inch LED...
The Communications and IT minister of the Government of India, Mr. Ravi Shankar Prasad has said that there's no plan to have Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp and other services run from...
I'm looking to know if we can check which camera sensor is present in your smartphone? Are there any codes I can type in to know the exact information or...
guys i would like to know the exact step by step procedure for calculating quantities for cement,sand and coarse aggregate for a 10 sft room