Smart Car Seats Warn Drivers Who Are About To Fall Asleep - Nottingham Researchers

Thanks to the sleep that starts kicking in at the wrong moment, the incidents where drivers who lose their alertness while driving a car have given a rise to deadly road accidents in many countries. Bringing an innovative solution to this problem, a team of researchers from Nottingham Trent University has developed smart car seats that can warn the drivers if they are about to fall asleep. Working together with a firm named Plessey, members of the University's Advanced Textile Research Group are trying to integrate the ECG sensor system into the car seats, so that it detects the heart signals of the driver who is losing alertness due to fatigue or other reasons.

sleeping-driver-in-car

In their aim to lessen the number of motorway accidents, they are planning to employ a fabric based sensor system within the car's seat, that will be capable of sending a warning to the driver, asking him/her to pull over. In case the driver ignores such warning, the system can either trigger in-car systems such as active cruise control or lane departure technology to lessen the likeliness of accidents or send the information to a nearby control centre via a wireless network.

car-seats-driver-fall-asleep

The folks over at Plessey have already found that the capacitive sensors are capable of measuring cardiac signals. Their challenge now lies in improving the reliability and consistency of the data generated through sensors, to be put to the intended purpose. For this, they will need robust electrodes that can be easily installed inside the automotive seats. Thankfully, the University’s knitted conductive textile technology is able to provide for that.

What are your thoughts on the new smart car seat system? Share with us in comments below.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• deepikanataraj
    deepikanataraj
    Very superb...please provide this technology in all 4wheelers

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

TO AVOID TRAIN ACCIDENTS As we heared lots of news about train accidents like some peoples leg can locked into the track or some may commit suicide or some may...
We all spend a significant amount of time at our desks. Thanks to the wrong culture influence, mornings are no longer the most pleasant time of the day for some....
hello everyone i am new here i have some queries regarding my career i am 23 years old guy i have completed my diploma in 4 year instead of regular...
Hi, I am from CSE background and want admissions in MTech (CSE/IT/IS) from IPU this year. What should be my preferences? in terms of placements , infrastructure, learning/research opportunities?
Time and again we hear news about date rape drugs wrecking havoc in people’s lives. The most troubling thing about these drugs is that they can be slipped into drinks...