Skype Working On 3D Video Calls & Skype For PS4

Skype - the company now owned by Microsoft, has confirmed that their engineers are working on developing 3D video call facility. One of the senior executives of Skype unveiled the information to BBC on the occasion of Skype's 10th anniversary. There were speculations about Skype's new feature after it posted an advertisement that they wanted to find a way to create body-doubles for workers who were unable to attend the meetings physically. If the idea of 3D video calls via Skype is getting you excited, please ensure that it lasts for a few years because the development team is yet to overcome technological limitations.

slide

Microsoft's VP, Mark Gillett informed that the team has already done a lot of work on 3D displays and 3D capturing technology in the labs. Though the displays are ready, the capture devices are not 'there' just yet. Currently, you need multiple camera setup and precisely calibrate them to get the correct capture.

Gillett says that the ecosystem isn't ready for the 3D video calls yet. He said that he imagines a day when people will have phones or tablets with 3D displays that won't need people to wear glasses.

Gilbert also said that they're committed to keeping Skype cross platform and Skype will finally make it to Playstation 4, which rivals Microsoft's XBOX ONE. The actual roadmap isn't known, but we may expect Skype to make it to PS4 in 2014.

Do share your comments on 3D Video calls via Skype & PS4 Integration. Both are awesome news updates, right?

Source: Skype confirms 3D video calls are under development - BBC News

Replies

• Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    Video calls today already require a high bandwidth for a good quality uninterrupted connection. 3D calls will need more. Thinking of it in future, even if we get better connections, the devices that would be able to run this will also be advanced. And this costly. 3D display without glasses means a costly gadget. I also think they will not offer these special calls for free. It will be paid for sure.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    3D video call !! meh, two cameras in single device, TV and freaking glasses 👎.

Bring Holographic video calls, that I will call advance technology ☕
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    Holographic Video calls!! you are quoting star trek now. Well it will be possible soon enough once you get holographic displays out in the market. Once you get that, converting the screen to holographs wont be an issue. We dont need particular software for it. Making that display 3d will be a challenge of that time though
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I think the only obstacle Skype will face is the installation of 3D web-cam; provided we assume presence of 3DTV / Monitors on user's side. It's still not clear whether the world will really adopt 3DTVs.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Yes I agree with Big K that if we want to use 3d video call we want a 3d video capturing device .If we plan to use it in phone we should have 3d video capturing cams in phones that may happen in near future.
    Nothing is impossible.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Recently IRCTC have stepped themselves in online shopping known as "SHOP.IRCTC" by, Extends their hand for shopping while booking tickets now people won't say the website is slow while in...
I'm wondering if there's any reason not to buy the Kindle Paperwhite. The price point, Rs. 10,999 looks attractive and the devices comes with wireless, paperwhite display, better resolution than...
Every entrepreneur in the world has to face criticism - at the idea stage, at the 'startup' stage and even when the startup grows into a successful business. The thing...
Robotics is one of my favorite topics. Though I didn't get a chance to study the domain, I never skip any update on robots and machines. I wonder what'd be...
Hewlett packard (HP) the name almost synonymous with laptops and desktop computers in India has announced two new machines for Indian professionals - the HP Elitebook Revolve 810 and the...