Skype Local Phone Calls To Be Banned In India

Both landline and mobile calls made within India will be banned by Skype starting November 10. The reasons for this move have not been published by Microsoft (Skype's owner) yet. However, users from India will be able to call phones outside of India. Also, those who've been traveling out of India will be able to make calls back home.

ToI is reporting that Skype has started offering refunds to the users who've been affected by this move. It turns out that government policies associated with VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) do not allow calling within India.

I've one doubt though - what if a user who's registered and created an account from Indian address travels abroad? Will he/she be able to make calls back home? Will Skype check the current location of the user before deciding on whether to allow or ban the call?

That said, the upcoming version of WhatsApp is said to have support for VoiCE Calling. Following Skype, it's expected that Viber will also ban VoIP calls within India.

Have you ever used Skype to make calls on phone within India? What's your first reaction to this news update?

Replies

• Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Don't mind this as long as calls to distant countries are allowed.

By the way, why would someone want to make Skype calls within the same country when we can do that offline at reasonable rates?

Does this Skype 'Calling' restriction also imply to restriction of Video chatting within the same country?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Anoop Mathew
    Don't mind this as long as calls to distant countries are allowed.

By the way, why would someone want to make Skype calls within the same country when we can do that offline at reasonable rates?

Does this Skype 'Calling' restriction also imply to restriction of Video chatting within the same country?
    Well, the only facility - that you can make calls from computers. But now with apps and wifi everywhere; computers are not needed either. I'm guessing this will affect the people who're used to Skype calls when the call rates were not so cheap.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello, i am a senior student at my institute and we are going to design a light weight electric car as our final project. My topic is 'Suspension systems of...
There have been some really good reactions (jokes) on CBs Half-Girlfriend. Which gave me an idea to set the ball rolling on CE. Let us create new jokes, which we...
Okay, this is going viral, so I thought I should post it here too. Soure: Much of the Open Source community tries to advertise the community as one happy place...
Quote: Are you mentally flat during brainstorming sessions? Do you have difficulty creating original ideas and thinking outside the box? Do you want to develop your creativity? Creativity is a...
Sixty years or so back I read the book Kon-Tiki by the Norwegian adventurer Heyerdahl. Seeing a Google doodle celebrating his 100th birthday brought back a flood of memories. The...