Simulator for power devices

I have seen there are some simulator available for basic Electronics devices like Pspice, Proteus, Circuit Lab.

They are providing simulations for the basic electronics parts like Controller, Resistor, Diodes, LCDs but I am wondering if there are simulators available for Power devices like SCR, Thyristor and similar?

Please share if you know about such simulators. Is it possible to use MATLAB for such simulation or any example available in MATLAB which can be used to simulate power circuitry.

PS:-
Circuit Lab :- Online circuit simulator & schematic editor - CircuitLab
Proteus :- #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Proteus can help to an extent in high power scenario. Try Hspice that holds good for most of the power device simulation

Pspice is a good place for starters so they have very little manipulative tools for power electronic concepts

So industrial standard Hspice must have libraries to support power devices
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Jeffrey Samuel
    Proteus can help to an extent in high power scenario. Try Hspice that holds good for most of the power device simulation

Pspice is a good place for starters so they have very little manipulative tools for power electronic concepts

So industrial standard Hspice must have libraries to support power devices
    Will you please share link for Hspice? Is it free tool?
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    I don't think it is a free ware sir
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    this is their official link and from there you can get to in detail about their product.

Next try their description abut that simulation tool #-Link-Snipped-#
  • a.alandkar
    a.alandkar
    There is a tool "PowerSim" using that you can simulate for the power devices e.g. SCR, IGBT, Thyristors etc.
  • jeshukb09
    jeshukb09
    Hello Sir. Mr. Harshad Italia. I think you can go with MATLAB. There are many tools in MATLAB which will help you in any of the simulation related to Power Electronics or Power Systems etc.
    MATLAB is always available in the internet. The latest version is MATLAB 2013b.
    In it there are libraries for particular purpose.
    Like SimPower for power system
    SimElectronics for Power electronics.
    You will need to use the Simulink Library for developing the simulation and viewing the result of the Simulation.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    jeshukb09
    Hello Sir. Mr. Harshad Italia. I think you can go with MATLAB. There are many tools in MATLAB which will help you in any of the simulation related to Power Electronics or Power Systems etc.
    MATLAB is always available in the internet. The latest version is MATLAB 2013b.
    In it there are libraries for particular purpose.
    Like SimPower for power system
    SimElectronics for Power electronics.
    You will need to use the Simulink Library for developing the simulation and viewing the result of the Simulation.
    #-Link-Snipped-# Thank you buddy for reply. I am newbie for MATLAB. But can you tell me if using some library I can directly simulate such power devices in MATLAB? Or it will need some coding kind of thing and then I can simulate power devices?
  • jeshukb09
    jeshukb09
    Hello Sir.

It doesn't require any coding for simulating the power devices. We can use simulink blocks for the purpose, and you will just need to connect it and run it.

In the MATLAB Command Window just type ' simulink '. Then a library will be opened in which you can find the electronic devices in the Tags SimEvents or SimElectronics depending upon the version of MATLAB you are using.

In the Simulink Library you can find all type of signals and signal generators, voltage sources, power switching devices etc.
    You have to use a 'scope ' for viewing the result or output of the device. This block can be found in Tag Sinks.

Also if you are not able find the component required by you, then you can search it in the library itself. The search option is at the top of the library window.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    #-Link-Snipped-# that is informative thank you for the help. 😀

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I want to make final yr projct.My colge want me to make projct that has new concpts and on d odr hand dey dont accpt websites.I em cnfsd nw abt...
Hello CrazyEngineers. Name: Akhilesh Garud Engineering Trade: Electrical and Power Engineering College: S.R.C.O.E.M (Nagpur) Occupation: Student(in 3rd year right now) Hobbies & Interests: Watching Football,movies,reading(a little). I love to play...
Here is an interesting contest for wheels enthusiasts. India is included in entry rules. Quote: In the Wheels Contest, we want to see what YOU can make with wheels -...
The ten projects that did best in May at Instructables are together here: https://www.instructables.com/id/10-Best-Projects-of-May/