Simple Instrumenatation Amplifier Circuit

I'm trying to debug a larger circuit of mine by breaking it up into smaller parts and dealing with them one by one. One of the parts of the circuit is an instrumentation amplifier.

The chip is using is the INA118 for TI (datasheet #-Link-Snipped-#).

The pin-out of the chip is shown here:-

[​IMG]

The chip is capable of operating with a single supply, or at least that's what the datsheet has led me to believe. However, to this point I have only been able to get it to do anything meaningful when I use a dual supply of +/- 2.5V. At the moment I'm trying to get it to work witha single supply of +5V & 0V and I'm having no luck at all.

The setup i have at the moment is as follows:-

Pin 1: Connected through two 40kOhm resistors in series to pin 8. Sets the amplifier gain.
Pin 2: Connected through a 390kohm resistor. This is the inverting input pin.
Pin 3: Connected through a 390kohm resistor. This is the non-inverting input pin.
Pin 4: Connected to the negative port of the power supply to give -Vcc = 0V.
Pin 5: Grounded to give 0V offset.
Pin 6: Output.
Pin 7: Connected to the positive port of the power supply to give +Vcc = 5V.
Pin 8: Connected through two 40kOhm resistors in series to pin 1. Sets the amplifier gain.

Using a probe (with the negative end connected to the negative power supply port) I've checked and found that Pins 4 & 7 are at 0V and 5V respectively as desired. Pin 5 is at 0V as desired. Pins 2 & 3 for some reason show a voltage of around 0.48V that I don't know the reason for. Finally, pins 1 & 8 each show a voltage of around 3.5V which i also am not sure is desirable.

I've tried grounding one of the inputs and connecting the other to both a small DC (~20mV)voltage and also to a small amplitude (~20mV p-p) sine wave. In each case I failed to see the expected, amplified and uninverted, output signal.

Can anybody see any issues with how I'm supplying power to my chip? Or any other issue that might be causing my problem?

Thanks...

Replies

• raithrovers1
    raithrovers1
    The circuit states that the gain is g=1+50k/Rg. Therfore your gain is 1+50k/80k. This is just over 1 so you would not see an amplified signal on the output. Change the value of Rg to 5k to give a gain of 11 and try again.

#-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi, i am doing 8th Sem Computer Science and i am looking for a Seminar topic which and be implemented. If any one know about it let me..
hi guys i am dinesh.....iam an electrical engineering student.iam going to write jto exam this year. i had download some previous year question papers. but i need some books to...
How to select my project to efficient manar
hi all , i need help in my project . i am finidind trouble in making a video streamer which may create a full human eye view on a screen...
my project is biometric(fingerprint) based file encryption... my Question i have done edge detection by using MATLAB edge function but now i want to plot detected edges in graph...