SiFive Is Setting Silicon Free with Open-Source Chips

Quote:
Moore's Law is dead...just not in the way everyone thinks. Technological advances keep allowing chips to scale, but the economics are another story – particularly for smaller companies that can't afford chips in the volumes that the big chipmakers would like from their customers.
The solution, according to San Francisco-based startup, SiFive, is open-source hardware, specifically an architecture developed by the company's founders called RISC-V (pronounced “risk-five”). Done right SiFive, which was awarded Startup of the Year at the 2016 Creativity in Electronics (ACE) Awards, believes that RISC-V will do for the hardware industry what Linux has done for software.
Endquote
#-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi, I am a BE graduate 2013 pass out. I got married soon after graduating and moved to another city. So i have a career gap of 1.7 yrs. Then...
Belonging to a middle class family, Prasoon Shrivastava completed his schooling from Jabalpur and went on to do his Bachelors in Architecture and Planning from LBH College, Mumbai. Upon graduation,...
Quote: GPS navigation is incredibly useful and can even tell you exactly where you are on a roundabout. But, inside buildings, the weak GPS signals are hard to pick up...
Information Security Analyst-00043218 Would you like to get involved in cyber security at a tactical level, whilst being fully supported in a learning and development programme for Information Assurance? We...
Lenovo has unveiled new device in its Zuk brand, with Zuk Edge priced at CNY 2,299 (roughly Rs. 22,500) for the 4 GB of LPDDR4 RAM variant, and at CNY...