Should we be concerned about engineers doing non-engineering jobs?

TOI has reported that most of the IITans are taking up non engineering jobs these days and I thought of discussing the topic here. I'm wondering whether the general sorry state of engineering in India (I'm generalising here; there are engineering achievements we can be proud of) is something to seriously worry about? The new government wants the world to 'make in India' and that will mean that there's going to be huge demand of engineers.

But when that need arises, we'll have a huge shortage of experienced and skilled engineers. Do you think we should be concerned about engineers getting into non-engineering jobs?

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Quote: A new technology known as VetiGel could transform how medical professionals treat wounds and address situations involving serious bleeding. The product was developed by Joe Landolina, founder and CEO...
The immense power unleashed even by the normal smartphones is day by day being utilised for more and more powerful tasks previously deemed fit only for machines with a high...
ASUS India is back with a bang by announcing its suite of mini PCs that are ultra-compact and offered with a decent price tag. The two new PCs - ASUS...
Our scientists are constantly searching for a trace of living things on other celestial bodies in the space. Though theories & counter-theories are produced every now and then, a recent...
SanDisk Corporation, a global leader in flash memory storage solutions, has launched the high-speed Ultra Fit USB 3.0 Flash Drive in India. This device weighs a mere 9 grams and...