Should there be stricter laws against digital content piracy?

Sweden has fined 4.3 million krona (~$650,000) a torrent uploader, about 28-years old, for uploading one copyrighted film to a torrent website. Sweden has been the former home of Pirate Bay - one of the most used site for sharing stuff. RIAA has described this man as the 'worst ever' pirate. Considering the fine covers just one film that this man uploaded, it's quite likely that he'll end up much more than that - because the court has convicted him of uploading 517 other flicks.

That brings me to the point of this debate: should the governments all over the world have very stricter laws and enforcement against against digital content piracy? Is that the way to make sure that people actually start taking digital content piracy more seriously?

Or do you think governments and people should be more liberal in sharing content? What are the repercussions of the same?

Replies

• Satya Swaroop Dash
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    The complete report about this incident can be found on the Torrent Site Uploader Ordered to Pay $652,000 For Sharing One Movie * TorrentFreak website.

The fine imposed on this person was so large because the Swedish movie he had uploaded on the website had still not made it to the theaters yet. So the producers of the movie saw it fit that the uploader has to pay up $652,000 which the equivalent amount the studio would have charged for a license to distribute the movie for free. The fine imposed on him is just biblical, in Indian currency it is equal to 4,06,91,320. Four crores!

Digital piracy is surely hurting the industry and even the best efforts to curb piracy have failed because pirates manage to come back again and again. Pirate Bay has changed three domains within the past two months.

Yes, stringent rules might force a person to think twice before uploading or downloading illegal content but in an anonymous place like the internet where buying illegal drugs is as easy and safe like buying things off Amazon, rules and laws won’t make a difference. If India decides to impose fine on people who own illegal content almost every Indian who has a feature phone will end up in jail.

People’s mindset has to be changed. People need to be taught that they cannot wily-nilly download stuff off the internet. Content providers can provide stuff at reasonable rates. Paying Rs. 15 for a song on iTunes and downloading which then adds to your broadband consumption isn’t the right way to go.

But ending piracy completely has never been possible nor would it be possible in the future.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    One line answer from all torrentians "Bite me" 😲.

Law is already there and because of which that guy got caught but question is,
    do corporates really want to stop piracy? No, period.
    If movies will not be pirated then their market is also shrink. Think why Bollywood stars are famous in Pakistan and in India Pakistani singers.
    In law view it's easy to say that piracy should be stopped and blah stuffs. But in reality even creator don't want to do that.

Even famous writer Paulo Coelho wants his books to pirate. Why? if you wont find his books easily then how can you know him and get addicted to this book and one day you will wait for this book to be available on shop.

The same thing with movies also. Tell me why every here is fan of Sherlock Series and for next season you willingly to pay for that channel on your DTH?

ps: I would suggest everyone to watch a movie called "The Pirate Bay - Away from keyboard".
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    For instance consider a example where i am a huge fan of a film director and i want to see it as early as possible.there are only two theaters which had bought utter waste films so I would definitely go for torrents or any other sites to download it. I know that its illegal but no person want to go to next city to watch a film.
    Mr. Kamalahasan (actor) had tried a new way to reach his fans by telecasting the film Viswaroop on the same day of the release and users can opt for subscriptions and pre order it but the theatre owners managed to stop this action and they had succeeded him.
    Can this type of technique solve this problem.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

LG Electronics have announced that they will be unveiling the world’s first Cinemascope (21:9 aspect ratio) curved Ultra HD TV that has an astounding resolution of 5120 x 2160 pixels...
Flying bots, robots and drones have been a subject of interest to robotics enthusiasts and engineers all over the world. Most flying vehicles available today do not make use of...
An animal to human language translation tool idea has been floating since long, and pushing that idea a step forward is 'No More Woof', a techno-helmet that translates your dog's...
In a move to increase its users, Blackberry is bringing its instant messenger service - BBM on LG G Pro Lite, a smartphone by LG Electronics as a pre-loaded app....
Check this out. Not all comments below the item are positive. Quote: The ÁPH80 prefab houses are made at a CNC (computer numerical control) mill factory located in Northern Spain....