Should I install Windows 10?

I am a kind of person who like to try these things,I want a clean install without upgrading my current OS because i think it will take unnecessary space(Is it possible without purchasing key)? And Windows 10 is new so it might have drivers issue.
What are your reviews about Windows 10?

Replies

• Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    If you're concerned about privacy of your data. Then No! you shouldn't upgrade.
    Reason : Disable 'Spy Features' From Windows 10
    Even older versions are equally evil, but I am on Arch so it's none of my concern :3
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    You may perform clean install of your OS and it won't be a brainer. Just be sure to backup your important data before you do it.

Windows 10 shouldn't have any problem and Microsoft is offering free upgrade to Windows 10. Check if your computer is eligible to receive free Windows 10 upgrade. Windows 10 should support larger number of devices than your existing version.

If you feel little more adventurous and don't play games on your computer, switch over to uBuntu for a few days and get yourself used to the UNIX environment.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Kaustubh Katdare
    If you feel little more adventurous and don't play games on your computer, switch over to uBuntu for a few days and get yourself used to the UNIX environment.
    You can play games too in Ubuntu. Nvidia closed source drivers are performing extremely well under Linux, and playing native games and even on wine using POL is damn simple now-a-days.
    But, if you're AMD graphics card user and having any of 'Southern Islands and Sea Islands' chip, trust me with opensource RadeonSI driver, you're going to have an awesome gaming experience in Linux systems. Most available linux games and most Windows games under wine is running extremely flawless.
  • Jatin Kumar
    Jatin Kumar
    Kaustubh Katdare
    You may perform clean install of your OS and it won't be a brainer. Just be sure to backup your important data before you do it.

Windows 10 shouldn't have any problem and Microsoft is offering free upgrade to Windows 10. Check if your computer is eligible to receive free Windows 10 upgrade. Windows 10 should support larger number of devices than your existing version.

it ain't like I don't know how to do a clean install but Microsoft is providing free subscription to only previous users or you need to buy a key ,I can't completely install Unix because I have to work on software like Visual studio and once I tried to dual boot Kali it doesn't go well at that time but I will try it with ubuntu again
  • Jatin Kumar
    Jatin Kumar
    Abhishek Rawal
    You can play games too in Ubuntu. Nvidia closed source drivers are performing extremely well under Linux, and playing native games and even on wine using POL is damn simple now-a-days.
    But, if you're AMD graphics card user and having any of 'Southern Islands and Sea Islands' chip, trust me with opensource RadeonSI driver, you're going to have an awesome gaming experience in Linux systems. Most available linux games and most Windows games under wine is running extremely flawless.
    will wine be able to run every software of Windows?
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Jatin Asija
    iI can't completely install Unix because I have to work on software like Visual studio and once I tried to dual boot Kali it doesn't go well at that time but I will try it with ubuntu again
    Do you know there is VS port of Linux too ? Download Visual Studio Code - Mac, Linux, Windows

Jatin Asija
    will wine be able to run every software of Windows?
    Not every! But most well known one, yep!
    I only use wine to play games, 'cuz I don't really code in Windows nor planning to. Regarding other windows software, I have opensource alternatives. So I hardly care about software part. But games! Oh yeah, games on RadeonSI under wine-staging works awesome. Thanks to Gallium9 devs!
  • Jatin Kumar
    Jatin Kumar
    Abhishek Rawal
    Do you know there is VS port of Linux too ? Download Visual Studio Code - Mac, Linux, Windows

Not every! But most well known one, yep!
    I only use wine to play games, 'cuz I don't really code in Windows nor planning to. Regarding other windows software, I have opensource alternatives. So I hardly care about software part. But games! Oh yeah, games on RadeonSI under wine-staging works awesome. Thanks to Gallium9 devs!
    why you use ARCH linux? is it better than ubuntu ,if i install ubuntu will i need any wifi drivers ?because if i port ,i have to download drivers using my laptop.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Jatin Asija
    if i install ubuntu will i need any wifi drivers ?because if i port ,i have to download drivers using my laptop.
    99% chance is that you won't need to download any driver to run Ubuntu in your laptop. Most of the drivers are there in Linux kernel itself. AFAIK, I don't remember installing any wifi driver manually.

course3

Just to make sure, boot Ubuntu as live OS and see if it gets connected to WiFi or not. Like I said before, 99% chances are that it will be connected. Very rare model's (~1%) driver you have to install using dkms.

Jatin Asija
    why you use ARCH linux? is it better than ubuntu
    ArchLinux is rolling distribution, Ubuntu is not. Ubuntu releases new versions in every 6 months with possibly latest packages in every iteration.
    ArchLinux is better ? For me, yep! Because I hate upgrading OS in every 6 months. In ArchLinux, I can just type 'sudo pacman -Syu' and my OS will be up-to-date.

Apart from that, ArchLinux is bleeding edge distro (obviously rolling distros are bleeding edge distros). Bleeding edge means, it uses very latest packages. I will give you an example between ArchLinux and Ubuntu.

5-8 days ago, Plasma 5.4 beta (i.e 5.3.95) was released. In ArchLinux, new packages were available in just 1-2 days in [testing] repo after that, which is undoubtedly awesome.
    If you're in Ubuntu, you've to wait for another release i.e 6 months, just to enjoy latest version, which is not so fun. Atleast for me.

There are so many pros (and very few cons) compared to Ubuntu in Arch. But I would never ever suggest you to switch to Arch directly from Windows (Because installation in Arch & Gentoo is totally in CLI, no GUI at all). I will suggest you to use Ubuntu, Linux Mint or ElementaryOS as your first Linux distro (Installation of these OS is simple as pie), and once you learn all the basics of Linux and it's internals, you can gradually move ahead to Fedora-Opensuse and then Arch-Gentoo.

Welcome to land of penguins.
  • Jatin Kumar
    Jatin Kumar
    Abhishek Rawal
    I will suggest you to use Ubuntu, Linux Mint or ElementaryOS as your first Linux distro (Installation of these OS is simple as pie), and once you learn all the basics of Linux and it's internals, you can gradually move ahead to Fedora-Opensuse and then Arch-Gentoo.
    Downloading Ubuntu Desktop 15.04,,, 36.5% ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Jatin Asija
    Do tell us how it goes ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Jatin Asija
    This ...
    Abhishek Rawal
  • Jatin Kumar
    Jatin Kumar
    Kaustubh Katdare
    This ...
    got stucked at 51% because of some internet reason ๐Ÿ˜” , and #-Link-Snipped-# , I will for sure ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Jatin Kumar
    Jatin Kumar
    Abhishek Rawal
    Tried to run with live mode,Install wifi drivers by going into additions drivers .
    Now there are many people facing issue of wifi connection with ubuntu 15.04
    Wifi connection is disconnecting very frequently and it is very slow comparing to Windows.
    Some have getting it solved and some are note,it is not working for me:
    is it because i am running in live mod?
    Is it because it is latest release and not stable?
    Should i download any previous Version?
    and the name of the Ubuntu iso is:ubuntu-15.04-desktop-amd64.iso;
    the processor mentioned is amd64 ,Will i get any error on my intel processor as i have with kali?
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Jatin Asija
    Tried to run with live mode,Install wifi drivers by going into additions drivers .
    Have you tried connecting without installing any proprietary drivers from 'additional drivers' ?

Jatin Asija
    Now there are many people facing issue of wifi connection with ubuntu 15.04
    Wifi connection is disconnecting very frequently and it is very slow comparing to Windows.
    Some have getting it solved and some are note,it is not working for me:
    is it because i am running in live mod?
    Is it because it is latest release and not stable?
    Should i download any previous Version?
    I won't be able to answer until you provide me some output and details of your hardware. Execute following commands in terminal and post the output :
    lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 net
    sudo lshw -C network
    Jatin Asija
    the name of the Ubuntu iso is:ubuntu-15.04-desktop-amd64.iso;
    the processor mentioned is amd64 ,Will i get any error on my intel processor as i have with kali?
    You can use AMD64 in AMD & Intel 64-bit modern CPUs. The Architecture is named AMD64 because AMD were the one who invented it. Intel's ia64 wasn't backward compatible unlike AMD64 (or x86_64) and hence it ain't used anymore.
  • Jatin Kumar
    Jatin Kumar
    Abhishek Rawal
    Have you tried connecting without installing any proprietary drivers from 'additional drivers' ?
    I won't be able to answer until you provide me some output and details of your hardware. Execute following commands in terminal and post the output :
    everthing is working fine ,but now the thing is one of the os is booting ,In grub menu it is not showing windows option and when i
    repair windows bootmgr.
    using
    bootmgr/fixmbr
    bootmgr/fixboot
    bootrec/rebuildbcd
    It directly boot into windows ,Both are there,both are working fine .
    but one of them works at a time ,and if i want to use second one i need to repair bootmgr.
    As i have read on internet it is kind of issue because both are booted in UEFI mode ,now i don't have clear idea about it.
    I am gonna try BootNext tomorrow ,If you have any idea why this is happening please tell me .
    I am trying it with windows 8.1,and have located 4gb swap area(Why we need it?).and around 300mb for bootpoint.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Are you using MBR/UEFI or GPT/UEFI ? Did you disable Secureboot ?
    You won't be able to dual-boot with Bootmgr afaik, you'll need to reinstall and generate grub to be able to dual-boot. Hence, People tend to install Ubuntu after Windows 8.1 is installed, so Grub takes control of the OS. How to Install Ubuntu Alongside Windows 10

Swap Area - #-Link-Snipped-#. Swap Area or Swap File can even be used for Suspend on disk.
  • Jatin Kumar
    Jatin Kumar
    Abhishek Rawal
    Are you using MBR/UEFI or GPT/UEFI ? Did you disable Secureboot ?
    SecureBoot was disabled and don't know about GPT/UEFI or MBR/UEFI,
    but when i start installing ubuntu ,it shows a warning that "An another operating system is available through UEFI Mode,you may overwrite it.
    Abhishek Rawal
    You won't be able to dual-boot with Bootmgr afaik, you'll need to reinstall and generate grub to be able to dual-boot. Hence, People tend to install Ubuntu after Windows 8.1 is installed, so Grub takes control of the OS
    I had done that ,i installed ubuntu after windows.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    If Windows is installed in UEFI-GPT mode and then you've installed Ubuntu in BIOS-GPT or BIOS-MBR mode, then Grub2 won't be able to chainload Windows.
    If Ubuntu & Windows are booting from same disk, then Ubuntu should follow same firmware boot mode and partition combination like that of Windows 8.1. For example, If Windows is using UEFI-GPT, then Ubuntu shall follow same mode & partition combination else Grub2 won't be able to chainload the OS.
  • Jatin Kumar
    Jatin Kumar
    Abhishek Rawal
    If Windows is installed in UEFI-GPT mode and then you've installed Ubuntu in BIOS-GPT or BIOS-MBR mode, then Grub2 won't be able to chainload Windows.
    If Ubuntu & Windows are booting from same disk, then Ubuntu should follow same firmware boot mode and partition combination like that of Windows 8.1. For example, If Windows is using UEFI-GPT, then Ubuntu shall follow same mode & partition combination else Grub2 won't be able to chainload the OS.
    while installing ubuntu how to ensure that i am installing it in right mode?
  • Jatin Kumar
    Jatin Kumar
    Very very Thanks #-Link-Snipped-# for your support!!! finally i am able to do it using EasyBCD ,Added a new entry to windows Boot ๐Ÿ˜
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Jatin Asija
    Very very Thanks #-Link-Snipped-# for your support!!! finally i am able to do it using EasyBCD ,Added a new entry to windows Boot ๐Ÿ˜
    I hardly did a thing buddy. It was you who made it.
    People tend to go back to windows, because of lil steep learning curve. I hope you survive. Linux is much more fun tbh.
  • Jatin Kumar
    Jatin Kumar
    Abhishek Rawal
    i thank you for your efforts ,telling everything without looking at system is difficult in cases.
    Abhishek Rawal
    People tend to go back to windows, because of lil steep learning curve. I hope you survive. Linux is much more fun tbh.
    That's why i dual booted ,if sometime i loose my mind there should be something to keep me cool ๐Ÿ˜ .
    And Additional drivers are giving me some problem ,if it persist i will surely post that here.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Jatin Asija
    That's why i dual booted ,if sometime i loose my mind there should be something to keep me cool ๐Ÿ˜ .
    And Additional drivers are giving me some problem ,if it persist i will surely post that here.
    I always avoid additional drivers, unless some hardware don't work. Good thing is, everything works with opensource drivers out of box for my system.

Here is a website, that might help you : #-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I am currently on Developer branch of Chrome, and I like how things are changing. The little little tweaks and changes making this browser even better. The material design of...
Targeting the Indian middle class, Maruti Suzuki is slated to launch India's most fuel efficient car - Maruti Suzuki Ciaz Hybrid. The car is reported to offer about 28 kmpl...
I did a mistake when i was registering for tcs nexstep application form fill up..i accidentally typed my date of birth as 13/08/1993 n it got saved..but my date of...
Ubuntu phones have arrived in India. Canonical, the UK-based creator of the open source platform called Ubuntu has partnered with BQ, the European technology company that manufactures smartphones, 3D printers,...
Karbonn Mobiles' latest smartphone called the Aura 9 extends support to 21 Indian regional languages making it ideal for someone looking to access their Android smartphone's various features in their...