Should displays have more PPIs?

I've began wondering if pixels per inch (PPI) is a marketing gimmick to make people believe that they're buying a super great looking display. It's definitely an engineering achievement to fit 500+ pixels per inch of the display; but I think that already surpasses the limit of the human eye. You simply cannot distinguish between displays that have more pixels.

Plus, the important issue is that unnecessary battery power is consumed to power these pixels reducing the overall actual usage time. On the other hand, I've been reading comments that the 4K displays are must for the VR GEAR - the virtual reality headset that Samsung develops to work with the latest phones.

What do our fellow engineers think about displays with more PPIs?

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    If I may borrow from my work with film photography, at small magnifications it does not matter. At the distance of normal vision the human eyes resolving power is 0.1mm. That is, two spots are sen as separate provided there is a 0.1mm distance between them. Below that they are seen as one spot. So we are talking of 250 PPI. 500 PPI should do alright for normal purposes. However we were using very slow speed, very high resolution films for some spectral work, where lines were very close and could be seen only at high magnification. In such cases a high PPI is justified. In the end, it seems to come down to " Horses for courses".

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

By use of pneumatic cylinder we can make semi automatic door system for zig zag door in bus .. it is my mini project and it is implemented in one...
This year’s Google I/O conference has been scheduled for this month and everyone around tech community is excited for it. Google earlier tipped to unveil the next OS for handheld...
Security firm Sucuri has discovered a cross-site scripting (XSS) vulnerability in WordPress that can allow hackers to gain full access to any WordPress website. The bug is leaving millions of...
The Cyanogen team has hugged two important players in the mobile domain: TrueCaller and OnePlus. The first hug allows the next update of Cyanogen mobile operating system to feature a...
I have passed BTECH in 2013 in electrical and electronics engineering. i was having interest on c & c++ programming during college life. now i wanna join class either for...