Should access to the Internet be 'Basic Human Right'?

Before we begin the debate on the topic, let me inform you that Estonia has already passed a law that allows Estonians to have Internet access as one of their basic human rights. France too has followed and Finland has gone a step ahead by putting up a threshold for the basic Internet speed the Finnish people should get: 1 Mbps. Considering that the United Nations is seriously considering acknowledging Internet access as the basic human right, this debate is for the for and opposite views.

Do you think Internet access should become a basic human right along with food, clothing and shelter?

Replies

• Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    I don't think there is any urgent need in getting this right.I too agree that it has a greater benefit and helps to go to next level,develop and learn more but In India the basic needs itself haven't been there for many people.So we should concentrate on that issue for in first place.They were all developed countries and they have little population to manage but that is not in the case of India where population is a greater concern. Waiting for other CEans take on it. #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Vikram S Bargah
    Vikram S Bargah
    How about providing internet access through DTH service provider. As there is abrupt increase in number of DTH users in every corners in past few years. hence this way internet access will be possible to very large community.

Do share your opinion below.
  • Karthikeyan jaisankar
    Karthikeyan jaisankar
    sure internet also a basic need to the people this will happen but this rule should enter in india takes some years..we are developing and we are following the developed countries in all kind of activities.according to me,using internet everyday we can't say he/she may be an intelligent rather than using anything we should use for the need.so internet can be use but these are not important for human rights!! 😀
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    Follow Maslow's Hierarchy of Need here folks, Internet is by far from the Hygiene factors for a lay person. For a web entrepreneur such as Biggie, I think it is a hygiene factor.

In a country such as India, where we see disparities between the urban and rural areas, access to Internet is not everybody's concerns. Once everyone's basic concerns are met, then perhaps we can move on to loftier goals such as these.

TL;DR - it's different for different people.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

IIT Bombay students see some great placements every year and the batch 2013-14 was no exception to the trend. With more than 250 companies participating in the campus placements at...
IIT Madras has been on the forefront of placements in the IITian space when it comes to bagging highest salaries and students getting job offers from dream companies. In the...
3D printing is rapidly finding applications in Civil and Construction engineering. Winsun, a China based company has developed huge 3D printer (about 6.6mx10mx32m in size) capable of printing building blocks...
Quote: Most working professionals these days suffer from what the scientific community calls the sitting disease. And if you don’t believe it’s a real problem, just check out health forums...
Indian Railways have brought a good news for travelers with the launch of a new app called National Train Enquiry System (NTES) for Windows Phone 8 OS. Now frequent travelers...