Shortcut to solving probability problems

there are dictionary problems like if the word sachin is to be arranged in a dictionary what is its value. By usual method it can be done but some times it becomes very lengthy , there is a shortcut for this. I forgot that . Can someone please post the shortcut method for it.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Moved to mathematics section.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    RVignesh
    there are dictionary problems like if the word sachin is to be arranged in a dictionary what is its value. By usual method it can be done but some times it becomes very lengthy , there is a shortcut for this. I forgot that . Can someone please post the shortcut method for it.
    Let us have examples and you mention the method you use to solve them, some maths expert CEans like CP/CT or others can give an easier method then. ๐Ÿ‘
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Probability appears to be tough but if you practice it is actually easy. If we can have some problem I will definitely try to solve it.

Meanwhile, I am facing similar type of problem. Earlier (2 days back) I knew a method of finding rank of matrix. But thanks to my good memory I forgot!

What to do? Can we arrange some kind of mathematical debate for solving problems?
  • RVignesh
    RVignesh
    for example lets take the word sachin
    In dictionary first word is A so remaining words can be arranged in 5! Ways. But we want S , so we will proceed further. Then comes C . Again then remaining words can be arranged in 5! Ways . We will proceed likewise for H I and N
    Till now we got 5 times 5! Words . i.e total of 600 words.
    So now we get S, as the required word starts from S so we will fix it at first position. Then again we will proceed the same procedure for 2nd alphabet. But fortunately the second required alphabet is A . So we will again fix it. Then comes C but again this is the required word . So proceeding in the same manner we get all the alphabet in the required order.
    Hence ultimately we get the required word.
    So the rank of word is
    5 *5!=600
    600+1(the required word)
    So if we arrange sachin in dictionary it will be 601st word.
    We have a very short method for this . I learnt it when i was in 12th. With that the result can be obtained in 3 or 4 lines. I just forgot that. Please see to that.
  • cooltwins
    cooltwins
    Taking the example :SACHIN.

First arrange them in ascending order: ACHINS

1) Putting in the first letter in the six letter word : S_ _ _ _ _
    The number of letters before S in the arrangement is 5.
    and no. of blanks in the word got so far is 5 => 5! ways of arranging letters in them
    So as of now the ways are 5* 5!
    And the arranged letters become: ACHIN (remove the used letters)

2) Putting in the next letter, A => SA _ _ _ _
    But there is no letter in front of A So the sum remains unchanged as 5* 5!
    And the arranged letters become: CHIN
    3)Putting in the next letter, C => SAC _ _ _
    But there is no letter in front of C So the sum remains unchanged as 5* 5!
    And the arranged letters become: HIN
    and so on... there is no addition of values to the sum after that case.
    So there are 5*5! words before it

Taking another example : BANKS
    First arrange them in ascending order: ABKNS
    1) Putting in the first letter => B _ _ _ _
    Number of letters before B in the arrangement is 1
    and number of blanks are 4 => 4! ways
    So totally right now the sum is 1 * 4!
    And arrangement becomes: AKNS (B removed)

2) Inserting A =>BA _ _ _
    But since there is no letter before A in the arrangement the sum does not change.
    Arrangement becomes : KNS

3) Inserting N=> BAN_ _
    1 letter before N and 2 blanks are there => sum becomes 4! + 1*2!
    Arrangement: KS

They are in the same order and so just add 1

So, the sum becomes 4! + 2! +1
    = 27

There are 27 words before it and the rank is 27+1 = 28

Hope it is clear enough. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • RVignesh
    RVignesh
    this is an easy one. Thank you very much .๐Ÿ˜€
    But i am afraid this is not the one that i was looking for. But yet this will reduce the work a lot.
    Thanks
  • cooltwins
    cooltwins
    ok... ๐Ÿ˜€ If you get used to this it is a matter of 30 seconds only. ๐Ÿ˜€
    Will let you know if i find anything else. ๐Ÿ˜
  • RVignesh
    RVignesh
    ya definately this is a very good and easy method. Thanks again ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Edward Anthony Moreno
    Edward Anthony Moreno
    why do you add 1 and another 1 in the last part?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    RVignesh
    I am rather dense.
    In my opinion any word of n letters can be represented by a linear matrix of order (1,n). Giving values 1 to 26 for A to Z the matrix can be easily generated.
    That for Sachin will be (19,1,3,8,9,14) Sachim will be (19,1,3,8,9,13).
    Matrix comparison can be automated in a left to right priority to locate the word in an assemblage of words using a lookup function or some such macro on a database of matrices compiled for each language dictionary.

It is possible that I am completely off base missing some thing in the question
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Here are some tips and tricks shared by an IIT Professor, Alok Gupta -

Plus here are some simple formulae that a friend shared with me -

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Would 150 and -45 celsius come out to 228.15 and 423.15 kelvin ?
As an engineering student, you must have been to a coaching center. Absolute Zero tells you about the different types of people you meet at these coaching centers.
Hi everyone, I have a problem on a structural. I have 2 beams connected each other. ( Pls see attachment) there is a uniform force acting down which is 14930Nm....
Go behind the scenes and meet Federico Faggin, the designer of the 4004 chip, Intel's first microprocessor.
MIT comes up with curious CEan type innovations. Here is an implantable blood pressure sensor which is powered by a few minues of Rap Music. https://medtechinsider.com/archives/26803 My concern is that...