Short Distance - Wide Angle Prime Lens

Hi Guys, I am looking for a wide angle lens to work with on a short distance from a group of subjects (15 plus people- 50 people in one line). I want a prime lens or anything that is worth in the zoom lens category. I also have to use it with my Canon EOS 600D (with APS-C) or any other full-frame camera in future. What lens should I be looking for?

Is there an option to have a better version of 50mm F1.8 with these features?

I know about the 40mm pancake, but is it wide enough?

#-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-#

P.S.: Leaving it as a tip because someone else might find it useful.

Replies

• Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Are you looking for wider than 18mm?
    Amazon.comworks for both crop and full frame. I think that is reasonable price. From third party you may save $100-150.
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Kumar
    Are you looking for wider than 18mm?
    Amazon.comworks for both crop and full frame. I think that is reasonable price. From third party you may save $100-150.
    Does the 'F stop' value not get any lower?
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    You can get lower F stop but wide angle meant to be landscape with Fstop with 5-6 at least to get sharp shots at corners.
    Any lens at maximum wide open never give you sharp at edges no matter how much they are expensive. Most of them gives sharp at 2.8 upto edges, and in group photos you need it.
    See this, it #-Link-Snipped-# but edge to edge sharpnes is at f4.

Edit:
    See this lens,
    I been seeing lots of people using this lens in my Nikon group.
    Tokina AT-X 116 PRO DX II AF 11 - 16 mm f/2.8 for Canon Digital SLR Lens - Tokina : Flipkart.com
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Kumar
    Edit:
    See this lens,
    I been seeing lots of people using this lens in my Nikon group.
    Tokina AT-X 116 PRO DX II AF 11 - 16 mm f/2.8 for Canon Digital SLR Lens - Tokina : Flipkart.com
    Interesting. Though it'll take some time to save to get it.
  • lal
    lal
    My knowledge is limited to make a comment here. 18 is wide enough I guess. Wider the lens gets, distortion strats creeping in at the edges. Canon wide angle primes seem to be not wide enough for the crop sensors. May be searching Sigma, Tikona or other brands will give a few models to choose from.
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    lal
    My knowledge is limited to make a comment here. 18 is wide enough I guess. Wider the lens gets, distortion strats creeping in at the edges. Canon wide angle primes seem to be not wide enough for the crop sensors. May be searching Sigma, Tikona or other brands will give a few models to choose from.
    #-Link-Snipped-#: Any idea where we'll get to actually see lens models from Sigma/Tokina/Raynox/Tamron in Kochi? Never seen such a place/shop yet!!!
  • lal
    lal
    I'm not sure about that buddy. But I sure think a few shops do exist. I have seen a few Sigma lenses with some hobbyists before.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Mathew
    #-Link-Snipped-#: Any idea where we'll get to actually see lens models from Sigma/Tokina/Raynox/Tamron in Kochi? Never seen such a place/shop yet!!!
    For these you need to buy online. Even in Hyderabad, I didn't find these.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Getting scratches on your brand new car or bike is probably one of the worst experiences in life. There are scratch fixing solutions available in the market; but they aren't...
Lava and iBall seems to be in competition of who launches most number of smartphones; both the companies are constantly launching smartphones these days. While iBall has launched 3 phones...
The team that made the first round-the-clock solar powered plane has unveiled its successor, the Solar Impulse 2. Its predecessor was able to fly for 26 hours straight without using...
M DOING PROJECT ON IMAGE PROCESSING IN THE FIELD OF MTECH M IN CONFUSION HOW TO PUBLISH THE INTERNATIONAL PAPER, IF ANY ONE KNOWS THEN PLS TELL IN DETAILS
I've been hearing that at the core of the Heartbleed security flaw, lies the limitation of the C programming language. Though I couldn't make much sense out of it; I...