Sensor to control your eating & smoking habits

Researchers at the National Taiwan University know that you totally suck at self-control; especially when it comes to eating and smoking. They've therefore developed a new type of sensor that sits on your teeth and silently monitors what and how much have you been putting in your mouth and in what quantity. It then tells it all to the doctors like an obedient servant so that the doctors. Research team head, Hao-Hua Chu has already done tests with the prototype with 8 volunteers.

slideโ€‹

The sensor's got accelerometers which help it determine whether you're chewing, smoking, speaking or coughing with about 94% accuracy. It can't determine whether the food you're eating is healthy because it'll need a lot of updates. First the team will have to develop a power source so that the sensor keeps on functioning without external batteries like the prototypes. They'll then have to develop Bluetooth connectivity so that the sensor can feed all the data to your smartphone.

The team's next challenge is to shrink the sensor in size so that it can fit well within the cavities. If you're interested in knowing more about the sensor and the research project, hit the source link (PDF) that describes it.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• zaveri
    zaveri
    The biggest and the best sensor in the world,for such a purpose is your brain and your common sense !

with such inventions, we human beings will soon become machines one day !
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    The sensor does not force the brain to stop doing those things that could harm your body. So in the end, it's merely a waste.

P.S.: However, if someone did make a sensor that could manipulate human activity, well then that's the end of homo sapiens and the beginning of a new species - humanoid robots!๐Ÿ‘€
  • mail154
    mail154
    There should be a sensor to stop some one from thinking like this ๐Ÿ˜€
  • madhu27
    madhu27
    We Homo sapiens need a machine even to monitor how much we eat. Such more future inventions will make us obey what a sensor/machine says๐Ÿ‘€ . Forget to decide by self.
  • mail154
    mail154
    madhu27
    We Homo sapiens need a machine even to monitor how much we eat. Such more future inventions will make us obey what a sensor/machine says๐Ÿ‘€ . Forget to decide by self.

this is becoming common when we loss self control
  • Sanoj Rajan
    Sanoj Rajan
    Did they stop giving the IG Noble prize??
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Commonly I think in the future we will have machines to remind us to fart

No offense but the humans are into too much multitasking that we are forgetting to take better care of our body
  • mail154
    mail154
    i think there should be a sensor for ensuring self-control so that they can take care of themselves and from this type of sensors
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    I dont understand it sir.Whether it only sense and stores the information or it can kindle brain to stop thinking about brain.please explain #-Link-Snipped-# ji.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    This circuit can be more effective if it pinch on tongue if you are smoking. Otherwise there is no meaning of putting such device into your mouth.

I also wonder how this sensor gets it's power supply? Battery? How Small !! ๐Ÿ˜•
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    mail154
    There should be a sensor to stop some one from thinking like this ๐Ÿ˜€

I like this statement !

well said dude !
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Sensors are designed to sense various parameters. What to do with the data obtained from sensors is a different story altogether.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Harshad Italiya
    This circuit can be more effective if it pinch on tongue if you are smoking. Otherwise there is no meaning of putting such device into your mouth.

I also wonder how this sensor gets it's power supply? Battery? How Small !! ๐Ÿ˜•
    Ever wondered conversion of speech into power this is one probable application I see

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Haswell overclocking basically has two major requirement : A K-series Intel processor & Motherboard with Z87 chipset. However, the third party motherboard manufacturers like Asus,ASRock,Gigabyte & Biostar have exploited the...
It's often easy to say that success comes with determination and lots of hardwork. But a determined mind and hardworking brain are not enough to keep being successful in the...
I just found a HDMI to VGA adapter for RPi in element14 which you can hook up between Pi & VGA monitor. My friend don't have HDMI or DVI female...
I am trying to power my ADSL2+ modem with USB rather than adapter. Behind the modem, in the specification it's mentioned i/p : 5V DC & this is same amount...
IIM CAT is introducing online registrations for the CAT 2013. Starting August 5, 2013 interested candidates will be able to download the electronic vouchers online from the new dedicated CAT...