Self Appraisal - Is Really Useful ?

I recently come across one of well known forwards:

A little boy went into a drug store, reached for a soda carton and pulled it over to the telephone. He climbed onto the carton so that he could reach the buttons on the phone and proceeded to punch in seven digits (phone numbers). The store-owner observed and listened to the conversation.
Boy: ‘Lady, Can you give me the job of cutting your lawn?
Woman: (at the other end of the phone line): ‘I already have someone to cut my lawn.’
Boy: ‘Lady, I will cut your lawn for half the price of the person who cuts your lawn now.’
Woman: I’m very satisfied with the person who is presently cutting my lawn.
Boy: (with more perseverance) : ‘Lady, I’ll even sweep your curb and your sidewalk, so on Sunday you will have the prettiest lawn in all of Palm beach , Florida.’
Woman: No, thank you.
With a smile on his face, the little boy replaced the receiver. The store-owner, who was listening to all this, walked over to the boy.
Store Owner: ‘Son… I like your attitude; I like that positive spirit and would like to offer you a job.’
Boy: ‘No thanks.’
Store Owner: But you were really pleading for one.
Boy: No Sir, I was just checking my performance at the Job I already have. I am the one who is working for that lady I was talking to!’
Moral: This is what we call ‘Self Appraisal’. Every time if we don’t get ahead of others, we blame others for it. We should look to our self and compare, find own weaknesses and work hard to throw away weaknesses. Always Work Hard, Honest and with full Dedication. It will always pay up.

and thought will it really matter to do honest self appraisal .. does it really pays you ?
I know self appraisals are important as it gives you ability to showcase your accomplishments and challenges faced during quarter or year to your respective heads.
But still I feel self-appraisals rarely counts and you will be assessed more on your performance from view point of your leads/head.

Whats your opinion?

Replies

• Gollapinni Karthik Sharma
    Gollapinni Karthik Sharma
    Self appraisals are categorized. Few self appraisals are taken to HR department and few are taken to appraisals department and also to your leads where you will be given awards as well hike in pay respectively. But in the end you will be assessed by the performance only. Al thought if you have many self appraisals then its directly proportional that you have performed very good performance.

If both people competing for one position where the lead has to decide only for that person then performance is counted more. All these add up to you're mail appraisals.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Having performed beyond by own expectations; I rated myself 'excellent' in self-appraisal and backed my ratings with my achievements.

My manager changed it all to 'average' without providing convincing reasons.

I quit.
  • Rahul99
    Rahul99
    I think, self-apprisals are not alternatives to superior-apprisals. Neither are they meant to decide your performance perks.
    They are just meant to give you an opportunity to reflect on your own performance and have a chance to find out how you did. It's like the mock test we take before a real exam. 😀
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I know many people who would do anything to be honest. I have seen people give themselves 2 stars out of 10. It really baffles me to date.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I have seen people give themselves 2 stars out of 10
    ...and then the manager would be magnanimous and rate those employees 3/10. 👎

Happened to me during my first appraisal. I rated myself average (while I thought I had impressed my managers beyond their wild dreams). My managers wholeheartedly agreed that my performance was indeed average. 😕 😛

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

😁 The forum complete 9 years today. It's been a roller-coaster, but every moment equally worthwhile. Happy Birthday to the one and only BigK @Kaustubh Katdare and wishing a very...
Nine years ago, on this day; CrazyEngineers (CE) was born to unite engineers from all over the world. Today, with tens of thousands of engineers visiting CrazyEngineers on daily basis...
Thrillophilia, India's biggest online platform to book tours and other activities, was founded by Abhishek Daga and Chitra Gurnani in the year 2009. According to the Alexa traffic rankings, Thrillophilia...
😁 Reserving this space for all people who would like to share the screenshots of their results page in each of the 4 rounds. ☕😁 Contest begins 6:00 PM SHARP!
Hi, We don't know your real name but you are definitely rocking your time at CrazyEngineers! @Sufficient Grace Here's wishing you a very happy birthday! Have lots of fun. Be...