Scream And Shout, Charge Your Phone Out - Queen Mary University Research

A group of scientists at the Queen Mary University in London has joined hands with Nokia to develop a technology that may enable the cacophony of the traffic noise to charge your mobile phone. Yes, the sound powered charger may be the next cool thing in the tech market where loads of companies are working to find ways of charging devices 'without the wire'. The UK team has made a device about the size of a Nokia Lumia 925 which is coated with 'nanogenerators' which work their magic when exposed to vibrations.

soundpoweredcharging1
The key to the idea is the Piezoelectric Effect: The substances that exhibit this effect generate voltage when subjected to mechanical stress (such as bending and stretching). The use of piezoelectric effect for charging devices was proposed first in 2010 by a team of Korean scientists. They had used 'nanowires' or 'nanorods' made of zinc oxide and the same material was used by the group from QMUL. These nanorods respond to vibrations arising from sounds, generating electricity. It is harvested by the electrical contacts placed at their ends.

The nanorods were 'cultured' on the plastic sheet by spraying zinc oxide layer over it and then heating it to 90°C. The nanorod layer was then sandwiched between two electrically conducting plates. Usually gold is used as a material of choice for establishing electrical contacts, but the researchers also developed a cost-effective technique utilizing cheap aluminium foil instead of gold.

The prototype was then subjected to normal background noise- traffic, music and also human voice. The device responded by generating 5 Volts, enough to charge a phone battery.

Is the era of plugging phones to sockets coming to an end? Share your views in the comments.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• lal
    lal
    An amazing step ahead!

Would be interesting to know how much energy it produces. Time required for charging ultimately depends on the rate of energy transfer to the battery from the transducer.
  • DADISETTY GOVIND
    DADISETTY GOVIND
    my friend said that japan have a innovative concept that cells are charged by sweat is it really posssible.generally if a tv is not working ,then most people will beat it na,by using this is it possible of charging by hitting(because force can we converted to energy na)
  • Akanksha Gupta
    Akanksha Gupta
    thats something really innovative
  • Karthikeyan jaisankar
    Karthikeyan jaisankar
    speechless!!!...😀 My phone energy can be increased immediately am going to loose my energy😛 by shouting😁 concept was simply superb!!! future phone cost will be less while compared to battery 😛 👍

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi this is govind,from vizag.pressent completed my graduate,but iam not satisfied with my knowledge on our subjects.i want to know it in a understandable way,guys please share
I taught of buying a wireless mouse, my laptop is SONY VAIO 3rd generation and the wireless mouse which i taught of buying is "Dell WM314 Wireless Laser Mouse (Black)"...
Reliance Digital has launched a new smartphone in its Reconnect series called Reliance Reconnect RPSPE4701, powered by a 1.3 GHz Quad Core processor, that runs a slightly old Android 4.2.2...
Bhargavpopat submitted a new project: Design and implementation of maximum power tracking system by automatic control of solar panel. - Here the solar panel moves according to the direction of...
Since this time we have a new government let’s see what they have to say on the 68th Independence Day. Doordarshan is broadcasting the event in HD for the very...