Scratch (by MIT Media Lab) - Programming for young children

Hi CEans,

Scratch has been around for about 9 years, but I was unable to find a thread on it on CE. It is essentially an authoring tool for young children and beginners to learn about coding (through visual event driven programming). It has been immensely successful, with many kids/beginners sharing awesome creative projects on the Scratch online community (9 million projects shared up to now).

Link: Scratch - Imagine, Program, Share

I have a wildly imaginative 6 year old nephew who loves his Lego sets and Transformers, so I was thinking of introduce him to programming to allow him express himself creatively further. I think Scratch is a good way for this, because going through lines of C code would bore him for sure.

Have any of you CEans tried teaching Scratch to young children? What are the initial hurdles you have faced? Any advice to ensure continued interest?

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    I downloaded it three years back hoping my grand daughter(then pushing six) would latch on. Bit too early.This time I shall try to push her into it when I visit her in the USA.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Microsoft's Jerry Nixon surprised everyone at the Ignite conference by saying that Windows 10 will be the last operating system produced by Microsoft. Now, that immediately leads one to think...
Keeping in mind the young selfie-crazed customers in India, Fujifilm has brought there Instax series of cameras to country. Those who would love to capture selfies with friends and family...
Quote: Spiders sprayed with water containing carbon nanotubes and graphene flakes have produced the toughest fibers ever measured, say materials scientists. Endquote https://www.technologyreview.com/vie...tubes-then-weave-silk-reinforced-with-carbon/ (Posted by CEan Clinton Rushing on FB)
The most loved car brand in India, Maruti Suzuki has been on top of its game after launching its flagship hatchback car Celerio last year. Now it has silently unveiled...
It is real. It is a house of straw and can stand all the huffing and puffing. https://insights.globalspec.com/arti...rk=cr4digest&et_rid=419257195&et_mid=80952770