Scotty Is The Closest We Have Gotten To A Real Life Teleportation Machine

Every die-hard science fiction fan in the world has been mesmerized by the concept of teleportation or being able to vanish from one place and appear in a different place (as shown in the movies) without traveling the distance. Well, researchers from Hasso Plattner Institute in Germany, believe that they have been successful in developing the world's first teleporter. Named "Scotty" in sweet remembrance of the famous Star Trek's chief engineer Mr. Scott. In fact, whenever Captain Kirk wanted to transport back to the Starship he would use the words, "Beam me up, Scotty", which became a very popular phrase in the sci-fi fan circles.

Coming back to Scotty, here we have a Maker-bot Replicator machine that teleports physical objects across distance. Built using a 3D printer, a camera and a micro-controller for encryption/decryption and transmission, the Scotty teleporting machine lets you place an object into the sender unit, enter the address of a receiver unit, and press the teleport button. The sender unit will digitize the original object layer-by-layer, takes a photo using the built-in camera, encrypts the layer using the public key of the receiver, and transmits it. The receiving unit conducts decryption of the layer in real-time and starts printing it right away. Users are therefore able to see the object appear layer-by-layer on the receiver side as it disappears gradually on the sender side.

scotty-teleportation-hasso-plattner-institut-video
Those interested in the mechanics of it all and in reading about the application areas of this technology should check the official website of the university mentioned in the source below. Also, do check the following video to see the process in action -

What are your thoughts about teleportation? Share with us in comments below.

Source: Scotty

Replies

• Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    Thank you for sharing. No disrespect, but this is more 3-D photocopying than Teleportation. The exact same object is not reproduced at the receiver end. The receiver end reproduces the object from the material it has in store (the sender object was black material and receiver was white). Teleportation transports/recreates the exact same object (or even the same object, who knows).
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I agree. Sadly, this is the closest we have reached to teleportation. There's so much research going on in the field, but the last time I checked online the results of some demonstrations show that the researchers in the field have been able to teleport only a few atoms and the procedure lasted few hours. And if that's replicated to human body, the receiver unit will only land a dead body.

The term of teleportation is the theoretical transfer of matter or energy from one point to another without traversing the physical space between them. In this research work, matter or energy is not getting transferred at all, but a new object is being created. In short, the actual object is getting destroyed. This is clearly not the motive behind teleporting.
  • Don Ross
    Don Ross
    Teleportation will come in the form of a man made worm hole where we are moved intact and not disassembled and reassembled.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Facebook and Instagram have gone down. No idea what has caused this but we will be back with updates. Other users are requested to corroborate this fact.
I'd not believe in rumours but this one comes from Forbes: According to journalist Robert Cringely, IBM is going to mass fire about 26% of its total employee base. If...
Hi friends .. i m rehman , b.tech ece passout 2014 with 68% and got seat in PG DESD CDAC HYD. In my B.tech course i got credits 0 in...
The Japanese manufacturer Toyota started manufacturing the Toyota Etios for the Indian automotive market since 2010. The Etios is a four door car and comes in the form of a...
Every year a new Engineering batch starts, I get a shock when I hear, the fees of my college is increased by at least 15-20K per year. In fact, this...