Samsung Foldiplay Concept Smartphones Take The Flexible Displays Idea Up Another Level

With the launch of Samsung Galaxy Round and LG G Flex, two smartphones from two companies featuring flexible OLED display - one horizontal, another vertical - we got a glimpse into the future of displays. But, what Samsung has now shared with the folks over at OLED.at are the pictures of some concept smartphones with flexible displays that could be how our mobile devices will be in the years to come. The idea behind these flexible display concept could very well be aimed at making the large-screened displays on our smartphones and tablets more manageable. You would be able to easily fold up the gadget and thus make your mobile devices more pocket-friendly and portable.

samsung-display-foldisplay

camera-oled-samsung ebook-samsung display-faltbar-samsung

The foldable smartphone shown in the picture above consists of 3 thin panels, the tablet and e-reader (Below) being 6 and 9 panels respectively, with each of the devices folding into a third of their original size. With this, gone will be the days when people would think that 5.2 inch Samsung Galaxy Note is a device you can not carry in your pocket. The Samsung Foldiplay concept is 210 x 210mm in size and has a width of 2mm, the great thing about it is that you can fold it to a minimum of 70 × 70 mm.

Another interesting concept is the Book Write, which is a triangular-shaped device, roughly the size of a pencil-case, which contains a stylus and a roll-up screen that acts as a writing surface. The device can be easily rolled up completely and the main applications of it is an e-notepad, because it is transparent you can put it on a book or tasks and casually surf the web or investigate or solve problems or write while using it.

bookwrite-transparentes-flexibles-oled1

Though we all know that we are a long way from these devices being mass-produced because although Samsung’s Galaxy Round and LG’s G Flex both sport curved screens, the other components are still rigid. The folks over at OLED.AT think that these concepts will be possible only in the year 2016-2020 at the earliest. Making the power supply or the battery as well as other components of a smartphone truly flexible is definitely a thing of the future. Take a look at the following video to envision the Samsung flexible displays as the next generations might see -

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    In related news, Samsung has announced that it is going to bring the first fully-foldable devices to consumers sometime tin 2015. 👍
  • Ambarish Ganesh
    Ambarish Ganesh
    Flexible displays shall be helpful. And I am totally in love with the Book-Write concept- It is almost like an e-tracer.
    With the Galaxy Note 3+ Samsung Galaxy Gear combo price touching INR 71k, this concept phone with all its super-awesome smart features is sure to be priced over Rs 1.5 lakh, whenever it's made commercial. Looking forward to a hand-on though. 😀
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The biggest issue with writing on these displays is that there's no friction between the pen and the display. It's all so glassy, smooth and slippery and writing needs some 'friction'. I've tried to use S-Pen on my Galaxy Note; but never been happy.
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The biggest issue with writing on these displays is that there's no friction between the pen and the display. It's all so glassy, smooth and slippery and writing needs some 'friction'. I've tried to use S-Pen on my Galaxy Note; but never been happy.
    Maybe you should install a matte screen guard, It works well for me with S-Pen and I did do pretty good stuff like take notes and draw with S-pen 👍
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Another report suggests that - The company’s vice chairman and CEO, Kwon Oh-hyun, said, “Even though we’re doing the software business, we’re not as good as we are in hardware.”
    So now, Samsung is promising that they will focus more on software development and will dedicate half the R&D department to making better software for their phones.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I wanted to change the size of Application icons displayed in grid that pops out after clicking on the Applications folder/stack in the OSX dock. Surprisingly, it turned out to...
ARCHOS, a company that pioneers in the portable audio and video player market as well as the Android Tablets and Smartphones arena, is here with the launch of a new...
What I know Raspberry Pi is chip board which is capable of working as small CPU box and can be connected to any Tv This is picture of latest Raspberry...
can any body please tell me exactly the procedure for calculating wall and floor tiles for a building.
Mahindra & Mahindra has launched the Mahindra W4 - XUV500 model today as the entry-level variant of its popular car XUV500. With a price tag of Rs. 10.95 lakh (ex-showroom,...