Samsung Curved Screen Smartphone To Launch In October - That's The Next Hardware Innovation

Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd. is all set to launch a new smartphone featuring a curved display screen in the next month. In October 2013, South Korea is going to witness the unveiling of the next set of hardware innovation coming from the hands of the world's top handset maker. At CE, for the past one year, we have been frequently covering research news about bendable screens and foldable displays. So, this hasn't been a surprise for the tech town. Since the fall of 2012, we have beenSamsung Bendable Screens To Be On Smartphones In 2013 - All AMOLED, All Stretchy! of the foldable and stretchy screens from the Samsung Display Co. that are made of plastic instead of glass. Famous for its AMOLED screens, Samsung had made a choice of OLEDs here again instead of Plasma or LCD because they can be made flexible and transparent.

So, the news of a smartphone featuring these foldable screens came to light when Samsung's mobile business head of strategic marketing D.J. Lee said, "We plan to introduce a smartphone with a curved display in South Korea in October," at an event launching the Galaxy Note 3 smartphone in Seoul. The last time we heard about Samsung's handheld flexible displays was back in CES in January, where a 5.5-inch prototype device named Youm was revealed.

slide

In fact, we all know that curved display is already commercially available in large-screen televisions. Samsung and LG Electronics Inc have started selling curved OLED TV sets this year priced at about $9,000. There is not much informatiob about the features or specs of this new Samsung handset so far.

But if the curved screens aren't very impressive, you should be reading about something called the 'Morphees'. Developed by Scientists from Bristol University, #-Link-Snipped-#are the devices that can change their shape as required. Yeah, so, not just bend, we may now have devices that can alter their form altogether to say make a game easier to control or make the screen easily hidden when entering passwords or secure keys. Bristol's scientists have successfully developed 6 different prototypes using dielectric electro-active polymers (DEAPs), shape memory alloys (SMAs) and other wood-like materials. These 6 prototypes are being tested to see which one is safest to use and consumes least electricity.

What do you think about Samsung's move to bring a curved display smartphone? Would there be a solution that lets these tech giants mass produce the parts cheaply and come up with display panels that can be as thin as a sheet and highly heat resistant? Time will tell.

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I think that the obvious question - Do we really need a curved screen for our gadgets? Is there any usability to the ability of rolling your smartphone so that it fits in the corner of your purse or wallet? I think curved interfaces could be really useful in gaming/navigation control devices.

What say you?
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    When I shared this news to my friend, he said that it could be used in smart watches but other than that I dont feel there is any application in phone arena.
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    This is really amazing, it would just revolutionise the gadgets. Otherwise, I always wonder looking at people with such big phones, how do they accommodate it in their pocket, and seriously the thing is most of them complaint about the inability to fit these gadgets in their pockets. These would prove utterly beneficial in gaming.
    And Morphees is really awesome concept indeed.
  • Nikumbh
    Nikumbh
    I think Morphees, going to be a milestone in mobile hardware design.... If and only if it serves the advancement features of the smartphones.
  • Satya Swaroop Dash
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    No we do not need a curved smartphone. The reason all displays are flat for a reason. All information is at one place and you do not have to move it around to get the information. Sure in a smartwatch it would have been helpful but on a phone is not at all useful. Also app makers will find it really tough to make apps for this kind of display. I can also speculate with these screens you cannot implement Gorilla Glass or Corning Glass Protection.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

iam persuing my engineering degree under vtu(vishveshwarayya technological university). please suggest me the links for video tutorials of analog electronics experiments..!!
Though there's still time for Apple to finally launch its latest iPhone 5S in Indian market, fanboys can own it now for an asking price of Rs 65,000 to Rs...
Someone asked me the above question, i told him that the components above all help in booting order, since i was not all that convince so i desired to put...
The social media is abuzz with the news that Samsung will launch a super premium series of Galaxy phones, called 'Galaxy F'. The series will definitely be pricier than the...
Electronic devices like smartphones and tablets use a lot of battery and don't give much battery life. So, there you are carrying the charger along whenever you go out for...