Samsung 3GB LPDDR3 Are Industry's Highest Density Mobile DRAM

Samsung electronics has officially announced that it's all set to mass produce the industry's first highest density mobile DRAM (3GB) with lower power double data rate 3 (aka LPDDR3). The memory chips will be targeted at the next generation of smartphones the company will produce. The company also says that these memory chips will bring significant shift to the market from the current generation of 2GB packs, widely being used in latest generation of mobile devices.

LPDDDR3

The Samsung mobile DRAM uses six of the industry’s smallest 20-nanometer (nm) class* four gigabit (Gb) LPDDR3 chips placed in a symmetrical structure of two sets (3 in each). The overall thickness of these chips is just 0.8mm. Samsung says that this ultra-thin memory solutions will allow the phone manufacturers to make thinner smartphones so that bigger batteries can be included. The LPDDR3 offers data transfer speed of about 2133 Mbps per pin!

Young-Hyun Jun, EVP of Samsung Electronics said, "Three GB mobile DRAM will be adopted in the most up-to-date, high-end smartphones starting in the second half of this year - an initial adoption will expand to most high-end smartphones worldwide next year. We will develop a new 3GB LPDDR3 solution based on four 6Gb LPDDR3 DRAM chips by symmetrically two chips on each side, which will boost smartphone performance to the next level by year end".

What's in it for the users? Well the faster & more capable memory means users will be able to enjoy Hi-Q, FULL HD video playback while multitasking on their mobile devices. These chips support LTE-A, the next generation of mobile telecom standard.

Via: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Samsung is an awesome company which has emerged to great height in silicon domain.Recently Exynos 5 quad-core was tested & the benchmark were quite impressive.SSD development by Samsung was also impressive.
    Now, with LDDR3 development, Samsung is all set to hold the throne for the greatest Mobile company world has ever seen.
    I guess LPDDR3 will be used in Ubuntu Edge which will be launched in May 2014.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Intex technologies has announced a range of LED TVs in India, with price ranging from Rs. 7499 to Rs. 12499. The three introductory models that have been launched are LE23HDR06-VT13...
CAT - one of the most important MBA entrance exams in India is also the most difficult to crack. Let's start collecting Android or iOS apps that the students can...
I know the basic difference, I want to know where, when & under which condition partial differentiation is used 7 under which condition differentiation is used ? What is the...
I'm already fed up of reading the rumors about the new, cheaper iPhone being developed by Apple. It's just a matter of few weeks (I guess) that Apple will launch...
This upcoming film called 'Gravity' from Alfonso Cuaron is definitely a 'must watch'. Check the trailer below - Sandra Bullock gets 'thrown away' into the big black space out there....