Samsung 2.5" NVMe SSD Reads @ 3 GB/S : That's 100 HD Movies In < 3 Minutes

Samsung's not just about mobile phones & galaxies. The Korean engineering team's shelling out innovations like a boss. The latest update from Samsung is about the industry first 2.5" NVMe SSD (Solid State Drive) that can read data at mind boggling speeds of 3000 MB/second. This SSD isn't for the regular Joes out there who love speed; but aimed at enterprise storage markets. Of course this SSD won't run on the SATA-6 port; but would need a PCIe to hook up to your system.

slide

According to Samsung's latest press release, the newly developed 1.6 TB (NVMe) SSD provides sequential speeds of 3000 MB/s which means it can read about 500 GB of data in just under 3 minutes. Now that totally blows out the competition. Samsung says that it's 14x faster than the high-end enterprise HDD for server use and 6x faster than Samsung's own SSD storage.

For those who love the technical details - the XS1715's random read performance is 740,000 Input Output Operations Per Second (IOPS). Samsung says it's 10x the most high-end SSD storage option available in the market.

Once these drives hit the markets, they'll be available in 400, 800 and 1600 GB capacities. We've no idea about the price; but be aware that with speed comes the price.

Replies

• Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Samsung has made an huge and impressive solid state drive.After booming in mobile market,Samsung makes everyone to look on their performance and specification.
    Can Samsung increase the storage space as you have quoted that it produces 400 to 1600 gb,,?
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    SSD won't run on SATA port, but will require PCIe port. But which version of PCI express port ? Will it support the old-school 1.0 ? Will it be back porting the old versions ?
    Sad thing is it consumes one PCIe slot. But as it will be used in servers, we need not to worry.
    3GB/s transfer speed is monster speed.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The details of the PCIe support isn't available yet; but I think it'd definitely be on PCIe 4.0. I'm just shooting in the dark with those speculations ;-). I wonder if that would really make my 'Instant On' operating system dreams come true. I'm kinda happy that it's Samsung, not Apple 😁
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I wonder if that would really make my 'Instant On' operating system dreams come true.
    It won't in real world. You need an ideal semiconductor components & gates with no time delay. Alongwith the memory instructions which can execute entire program in 0 seconds, possible ?
    I don't think so.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

In an interview with stuff.tv, PS4's lead architect Mark Cerny revealed that PS4 engineers trialled the sweat sensing (galvanic skin response) controllers. The idea was to determine how stressed the...
"Innovation? My Ass!", said Apple's Phil Schiller and boy, the engineers at Apple are indeed working on something really awesome. A recently published patent application on USPTO official website reveals...
According to the World Health Organisation (WHO), an estimated 347 million people worldwide have diabetes. Patients have been using blood glucose monitoring devices to check whether they are in need...
For a life threatening disease like cancer precision and speed could mean the difference between life and death. In a regular tumour removal surgery like lumpectomy, patients have to spend...
I want to build my own application that will make it possible to send and receive files directly between computers on a LAN, but i don't know where to start...