Safety Bumper

I have idea to safe vehicle and life.
Safety Bumper:- it can be used for all vehicles to prevent damage to vehicle in case of accident.
Two shock absorber and one connecting road can be fitted under front bumper of the vehicle. Suddenly, if vehicle hit to an object ( Tree, wall, other vehicle etc) both shock absorber will absorb the motion energy and will covert it in heat. There will less damage to vehicle and passengers will be safe.

Replies

• Sekocan
    Sekocan
    Hi,

Actually what you are trying to do is the only way to save lives of the drivers and passengers in the traffic.

The aim of a shock absorber is to decrease the deceleration. If a rigid structure like a steel cube hits to an immovable object (like a strong wall or a tree) it would experience a sudden stop which means a deceleration almost infinity. And human body can not handle decelerations as much as infinity 😀

Shock absorbers gives a small amount of displacement between the initial contact and the complete stop. So the velocity decreases in a time period and your deceleration rate doesn't rise to very high values. The problem here is the amount of displacement.

For example lets assume the shock absorber is giant ant has a length of 100 meters. If you stop a car going at 50kmph in 100 meters with a (almost) constant deceleration, it would be great. The driver will be perfectly healthy and even the car won't experience any damage. But it is impossible to have a 100 meters shock absorber.

From your description, I assume that the shock absorber has a displacement about 10 or 20cm. As you can calculate, stopping a car going with 50kmph in 20cm would require it to stop in 0.0288 seconds (if my calculations are correct). Which means a deceleration as much as 482 m/s^2 which is equal to about 50 Gs. Wikipedia says that "...an General Dynamics F 16 Fighting Falcon is able to sustain up to 9 G's for a limited time." as a referance.

But car producers are doing what you want to do with a different approach. They make the front part of the car with predefined weaknesses and the compartment part as rigid as possible. So when a car hits something, the whole front part of the car (hood, engine, steering mechanisms etc.) fold on themselves like an accordion. By this way they can extend the displacement of the "shock absorber" and the duration of the crash. But as you can calculate, even 50kmph is a very high speed to be safe if you hit something still.

Hope it helps.
  • Gurwinder Singh
    Gurwinder Singh
    You are very right but its all depends on the size and efficiency of the shock absorber. And after all it will save lives 😀
  • Sekocan
    Sekocan
    You can calculate the size of the absorber by limiting yourself with a deceleration value. You can look up Wikipedia for G-Force and find the plausible G force that human body can withstand in sitting position. And for different speeds, you will have different displacement values. Then you can set a maximum speed limit for your shock absorber. But you should notice that, the same shock absorber would act different for different speeds. So you may need some aotu adjusting springs and dampers.
  • Gurwinder Singh
    Gurwinder Singh
    Yes, its required some study about the whole system. But it will work defiantly .
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sekocan
    the whole front part of the car (hood, engine, steering mechanisms etc.) fold on themselves
    The a car with sacrificing front part is usually used to save the passengers from frontal collision.If the front part is rigid, it will pass on the impact to passenger compartment .So the"crumple zone" was implemented in front and back of cars to absorb energy!!!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Apart from being an innovative, sharp and confident person (team), I would like to know what else are the "allied" things you need to take care of while forming a...
I invented a new mobile charger for use charge the mobile without power anywhere and anytime. My concept is not based on the solar, power banks, wind energy, hand rotating...
Canadian start-up Metatecture has announced their new creation that brings virtual reality to iOS users at affordable prices. Meet the AirVR, a $49 attachment for iPad Mini and iPhone 6...
I am currently in 2nd year, doing btech information technology from a mediocre college affiliated to IPU Delhi. I want to know if should i start studying for GATE or...
Hi All, I have been working past 2 years after completing B.E in Computers. I appeared for GATE in my final year but couldn't crack it. I am planning to...