running cron jobs in ubuntu

I am currently using ubuntu 8.10 .
I was trying to play around with cron deamons but realised that in ubuntu I am not the root.
i dont have previleges to run crons nor to set up one.

How are cron jobs set up in that case?

I tried stopping the cron deamon by running sh cron stop at cd /etc/inti.d
and the follwoing error pops up
* Stopping periodic command scheduler crond start-stop-daemon: warning: failed to kill 5563: Operation not permitted
[fail]
vijayadurga@ubuntu:/etc/init.d$

thought I woudl run it from vijayadurga@ubuntu:/etc/rc5.d$ and script S89cron, but I think this is only for start up or this files links to the cron file and I can perform both start and stop?

Replies

• macbraughton
    macbraughton
    The root account is locked in Ubuntu. You have to use the command sudo to get superuser priviledges. You can find a detailed explanation here:

RootSudo - Community Help Wiki

I believe the command you're looking for is:

sudo /etc/init.d/cron stop
    and to restart it:

sudo /etc/init.d/cron start
    A lot of information about the various programs installed in your ubunutu system can be found by typing:

man [I][/I]
    And also by typing in the argument --help after the program name. For example, typing:

sudo /etc/init.d/cron --help
    will give the output:

* Usage: /etc/init.d/cron {start|stop|restart|reload|force-reload|status}
    But you only need to use sudo if the program is only accessible for the root user.

Another great command for learning more about how the programs on your system work is info.

Try these commands and read the output to learn more about the information already on your system:

man man
    man --help
    info man
    Good luck!
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    hey thanks for that info!
    it was useful.

will try running tonight again!
  • macbraughton
    macbraughton
    No problem. Hope that helps.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hi1 i wanna know if you can help me out in my mini project. I've been given "Light sensitivity control using SCR" as the topic.Give the basic concepts, basic ckt...
Hi sir, I hve decided to do " SIMPLE LIE DETECTOR" for my mini-project.I need ur guidance regarding the components at the earliest, Thank u. . . .
Here is my Second Question: this is a easy question: There are two threads of irregular cross section , each thread takes 60 mins to burn completely . How do...
is their any book , in which we can find number of programes with solution, related to 8051. plz give me link..
HI guys, if any one from philippines or any one who are working there or if know that place so well then please let me know.. sorry i am asking...